3,360 results
All reviews garden bungalow our honeymoon fish french polynesia luxury overwater bungalow vue bar rented a car dinner buffet outdoor shower beach bar travel agent lagoon view beautiful property dive shop snorkel gear entire stay dream come true
Reviewed 29 September 2017

The place and facilities is great as expected. With the best breakfast ever had! Still remeber it one year after! the man in the omelettes and crepes was always with a smile on the face. Good way to start the day!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Iaorana and thank you for sharing your Magnifique experience !
We are very delighted that you had a Magnifique and unique stay in our little piece of paradise and that you remember the "omelettes man" after one year !
We hope to welcome you back soon ! Mauruuru !

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Really memorable experience stayed at beachfront luxury bungalow, this is a very great way to stay my vacation at Moorea. The hotel staffs are friendly and the aerial view of the hotel is beautiful, which make us can't take my eyes off

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

What a Magnifique comment ! This is an extremely touching comment, which makes the Sofitel team so proud and happy.
We can not have a better reward than so beautiful a comment. The whole team is very delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us, very touched and happy that you enjoyed their service, which comes from the heart.
We were very happy to host you and we hope to welcome you back soon ! Mauruuru !

Reviewed 26 September 2017

It was our wedding anniversary- nothing extra in the room. no fruit platter.
we found the food choices at the bar and the pure restaurant limited for non fish eaters. their presentation of vegetarian paella was different not the norm.
we had to send food back as it was cold and on one occasion there was plastic in the pizza and all we were offered was the items taken of the bill not even a sorry, free drink nothing.
If you stay here there is noting within walking distance so take snacks or rent transport.
snorkelling off the resort was amazing.
drinks are expensive.
It would be great if part of the hotel eating areas were designated no smoking- it was amazing to see how many people still smoke.

Room Tip: Even though it said lagoon view it was through 3 bungalows infront so not a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank den003
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Ia Orana and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, your feedbacks are very important to us.
The Sofitel Moorea has 3 cards with various choices at different rates with various cuisine:
- 1 gourmet restaurant
- 1 restaurant with different show
- 1 bistro bar
You can be sure that we will take your feedbacks in consideration in order to improve our guests experience.
We were very delighted to host you and we look forward to welcome you back again ! Maururu !

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We didn't actually stay at the hotel due to the nasty attitude of some staff when we visited to have a meal. We walked along the beach to have a look at the resort and have a meal but were promptly almost rugby tackled by a burly security guard, on one of the safest islands in the world this sort activity is not necessary. Having been frogmarched to the reception desk for "checking" we decided to leave as the attitude of the very french staff was poor. We did however continue to snorkel in the large lagoon which is publicly accessible and the "bouncers" watched but did not come into the water to trouble us, went to the Hilton instead where we were made very welcome. Rooms looked a bit old and shabby, especially over water bungalows, not the best resort in Moorea

Room Tip: The water bungalows look a bit old in comparison to the Hilton and smaller
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DarrellNI

Ia Orana and thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor, we were pleased to welcome you at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora.
We want to offer you our sincerest apologies for the problem you encountered with our security guard.
He has probably been very awkward with you and we are sorry about that. His only goal is to ensure the safety of the hotel and therefore your safety.
Your comment will help our team to improve our quality of service.
Once again, please accept our dearest apologies.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 September 2017

My wife and I stayed at the Moorea Sofitel for 11 days on our honeymoon. We had a wonderful time, and the staff and accommodations were exceptional. We stayed in a luxury beach bungalo right behind the Beach Bar. There are plenty of reviews that discuss the beach, and general accommodations. Below are a few tidbits I didn't see mentioned:

Accommodations: The room was clean and comfy and the beach bungalow allowed us to lay in bed and look out over the ocean through the sliding glass doors to the terrace. One morning I saw whale spouts and then whale-backs as they traversed the edge of the reef out our front view. Not a bad way to wake up. In fact, I think we just lay in bed many times enjoying this view and the tourist-watching. Close your drapes at night though. There are many that will walk by, and I think some peepers may have got more than they peeped for.

We did have to call the desk a couple times to have our room made up and to deliver water, as a few days housekeeping had not come by by 2pm. A pretty minor inconvenience, and when we called, they were there pronto.

We were very happy we chose the beach bungalow rather than the over-water-bungalow. They were directly on the beach and allowed us better beach access, people-watching, and people-meeting. We were next to the Beach Bar, which also allowed extra entertainment in the form of the everyone's coming and goings - far enough away to not be bothered, but close enough to see what's happening. I felt we had more freedom than we would have had in an over-the-water bungalow.

The Beach: The beach was kept clean. Staff were up early in the morning raking the beach, removing washed-up trash and tourist-trash, leaves, seaweed...every morning the beach was new again. Nice job goes out to the beach guys. There are several fresh-water outdoor showers along the beach. These were very convenient and refreshing and were warmer than the lagoon waters, making a fresh shower out of the lagoon a refreshing experience.

Snorkeling: the snorkeling was fantastic and I spent part of nearly every day exploring the waters. Note that there is a main coral garden in front of the main beach, but if you want to get to the goods, swim farther out past the set of buoys to the coral gardens closer to the reef breakers. They are more diverse and seemed to be a little less disturbed than the gardens closer to shore. The water becomes shallow again here and there are many places you can standup out of the water. If you walk down the
Sofitel beach to Temae Beach, you can explore corals all the way to the breakers without a stretch of coral-less sand to cross. Another place to try snorkeling is on the south side of the over-water-bungalos. The setting is distinctly different, and I don't think as many people snorkel here. If you're lucky you may see a moray eel, a flounder, or a stingray, and of course all the aquarium fish of every color. I never saw a reef shark while I was there, and I was in the water a lot. They surely frequent the area, so I was a little disappointed, but perhaps it was for the better. Depending on the day there may be a current. Some days the water was still and calm, and other days, I had to work my way out to near the breakers against the current, but once I was out there I would just let the current push me slowly back to the beach. Voila! it was good exercise.

The Food: We ate at the Vue bar a few times. The Poisson Cru was excellent, and a new island favorite of mine. I would have liked a bit more crunchy vegetables (onions, cucumbers, carrots) mixed in with the fresh tuna as it was pretty tuna-heavy (I cant believe I'm complaining about too-much meat). The beer selection was limited, but the local Hinano lager was good enough for me. Only 5%, its a little low-octane but goes down easy on a hot day. I grew to really like it. Im not sure I would rely on 'classic' cocktails here. Go for a daiquiri or a mai-tai. I ordered an Old Fashioned (which is my poison), and while it tasted fine and looked good, I didn't taste much bourbon in it. I would not have felt confident ordering a dry martini. I dont know what I was thinking with the OF - order from the 'when in Rome' menu.

Food is expensive, but that was not unique to the Sofitel. Food was expensive everywhere on the island. We ate at several places for lunch and dinner and found equivalency of prices all across the island. Except for mangos. Mangos were cheap and plentiful and we wish we would have eaten more. They are for sale everywhere along the road. juicy and delicious.

One thing we noticed about meals is that once you have ordered, you are pretty much left alone, so while your server is at your table, make sure you get what you needed because otherwise you may have to try and flag one down. Im used to over-attentive servers/waiters, which can be its own annoyance. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot, but the Sofitel was just a tad to the side of it. There were a few times when i would have enjoyed another beer with my meal, but finished eating long before the server came by again. Minor inconvenience. We learned quickly to overcome this.

Breakfast was wonderful. Plate after plate of fresh fruit, fresh juice, cheese, fish, eggs, espresso and the BEST pastries and bread on the island. We had 2-hour breakfasts many days...relaxed...and...slow.

Staff: All staff were super friendly and always greeted with a smile. All interactions were positive. We'd like to especially thank Jean Marc and Helene who made us feel especially welcome and were very helpful and kind to us. We're sure they are like that with everyone....but it made us feel special and made our honeymoon that much better.

They have a petanque court near the activities hut. Ask for boules. The court could have been maintained better, however. After years of use, I suspect, its developed a rather concave topology which limits good play. A simple level raking and some watering would have fixed that. If should have asked for a rake and hose and done it myself while I was there. It's my one and only regret....

We left the resort and visited quite a few places on the island - Lagoonarium, Pineapple Beach, Belevedere lookout - as well as many palaces to eat. Our favorite was Restaurant Te Honu Iti and Chef Roger.

Merci beaucoup, Sofitel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pedro E
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

A great MAURURU for this Magnifique sharing of experience. The hospitality and the Polynesian kindness are our strength and what a beautiful reward to see that you have been touched by this. Jean-marc and Helene are very touched by your comment.
We are delighted that you found your part of paradise at the Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort: superb bungalow, delicious food ...
You can be sure that we will take your feedbacks and different recommendations (service, etc.) in consideration in order to improve our guests experience.
Once again a great THANK YOU for your comment that goes straight to the heart and we hope to see you very soon at Sofitel Moorea.