All reviews antique furniture the river rooftop terrace old mansion perfect location continental breakfast beautiful hotel penas las neighborhood malecon city ecuador airport linens accommodations taxi
Reviewed 14 February 2018

This was one of my worst experiences when travelling at all. The music in the rooftop-bar was so loud that I was unable to hear myself think when being in my room. The staff is unfriendly, and after I had complained about the music several times (!), it was even hostile. Most of them did not reply greetings like "Good morning" any longer. The furnishing looks nice at the beginning, but better don't touch the curtains, because they are slimy and have many little holes, and the lampshades are lopsided. In my cupboard lived a bigger insect, and I deliberately went without breakfast - it was a mess. Why the owners go around with their nose in the air remained their secret. I changed the hotel after the first night, although I had booked and paid for three nights, and at the end they even cheated me out of five dollars for the beer I had - I simply did not get back the change. Poor Mansion del Rio.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Heide B
Reviewed 22 January 2018

My wife and I were booked in here either side of a trip to the Galapgos. The location is good and yes there are stairs but you are in Ecuador! The building itself is nice but the staff do not really welcome you. The room itself was nice but the curtains in the bathroom looked dirty and torn. We considered eating there but the menu we were shown on the terrace bar was awful and my wife's gin and tonic had cheap and nasty ingredients (so was left behind but paid for). Thankfully its hard to mess up a bottled beer!

The following morning we got up for breakfast as advised since we had an early flight. Unfortunately there was no breakfast as staff hadn't shown up and neither had management. In the end our travel agent moved us to another hotel for the return visit as they thought this services wasn't acceptable.

It was a pity as the building is lovely and has great potential. Its just that the owners don't seem to care (any more??).

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel until they get their act together
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tsheehan63
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

As far as locations go this was brilliant, it’s in the heart of heavily guarded Las Penas and it’s entrance although difficult to identify is charming.
After this it’s all a bit difficult to fathom. The entrance hall has an old world feel to it which, on closer inspection, just feels slightly unkempt and out dated.
The guy at the front of house was not too forthcoming with any information at all and only when we explored the surrounding area did we notice a roof terrace. Alas this was out of bounds for the evening as there was a romantic meal going on upstairs. Go figure.
The room was a suite and generally in good condition with a small balcony overlooking over the street below. The bed was comfy but had an old duvet over the top which had a few of he previous users hairs. It was quite warm so the only option was to open the door to the balcony - which worked out well as the noise from the surrounding bars was hypnotic.
The breakfast we were told was served at 7 which was ideal as we needed to leave early for the airport although we had to wake the front of house from his slumber in order to get something, which ended up being just toast and bananas.
Real shame this didn’t go to plan as the location is great but there seems to be a loss of TLC for the place.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank knoxylad
Reviewed 23 December 2017

it's very correct even with some downsides other people have complained here:
booking problem: i bookerd for 2 nights but i had to move from the first room because they had anticipate...
cleanness could be better...
breakfast is basic..
but location is great and the staff is ok...

Room Tip: choose higher floors on the back
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Checked in 26 Nov for one night. They charged the card when making reservation. Upon check-in they demanded $70 cash, which is $15 more then the quoted rate. Refused to give a receipt. No wifi in room 8, spiders in shower, floor dirty, blanket had lots of hairs. All-in-all, they charged the credit card for $55 plus took $70 cash and refused a receipt in the morning. I would never recommend this hotel, nor would I stay there again. While the lobby is beautiful and I am sure many of the rooms are as well, room 8 was nasty, tiny, and considering I paid over $125 for the night, this is a laughing joke of a hotel.

Room Tip: try somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo