“Unexpectedly comforting”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #63 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 August 2017

I travel a lot. My budget forces me to look for sub 100 dollar hotels. Most times I'm happy that the door locks and the toilet flushes. Tax and all was 57 dollars. I was so tired and was thinking, please let the a/c work. From the warm welcome to the well cleaned room, I knew I had found an honest deal. The room was so clean, I actually tried to find dust. I couldn't. Small, but the breed was great, a/c worked like a champ, and the bathroom, though small was redone so nice, comforting and completely clean to a higher standard. The only reason I took a star is the outside wasn't indicative to the quality inside. Don't let the parking lot fool you. This is a great place to stay, friendly staff, and a voucher for breakfast at the waffle house that's pretty much in the parking lot! I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I always get non smoking. They offer both
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

I can see why this hotel is rated two stars. It has a great price point for the area, but run down. Very stained bedding, along with everything else was stained, even the lamp shades. If you have an issue with the smell of smoke you wouldn't want to stay here, my husbands asthma really acted up. The room smelled awful. Yes, for $74 and passing through to go to the beach it served its purpose. But it was the dirtiest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The bedding could be replaced and the room aired out would really help. Would I stay again? Probably not

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2017

Cons: 1.) I booked a non smoking room and was given a smoking room. We didn't tell them because we came in around 1:00 a.m. and were ready to crash. 2.) The highway noise is bad. All night I could hear the big trucks...
Pros: 1.) Hot water 2.) Clean 3.) They give you a free breakfast sandwich to Waffle House which is connected to their hotel. 4.) Right off the highway, however the noise level is high.

Room Tip: Ask for a room farthest away from the highway, and if you want non smoking make sure before you get...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Our non-smoking room smelled smoky, we found a penny and some other objects on the floor, and one towel was stained. Otherwise, it seemed clean, and everything (except one socket) was in working order. We had 4 sets of semi-thick towels, which was nice. The employees were friendly and we felt relatively safe. Yes, we could hear the interstate all night, but it actually helped us sleep. The beds were very comfortable. Breakfast consisted of vouchers at the Waffle House next door, good for a waffle, biscuits and gravy, or a biscuit sandwich, plus coffee, tea, or soda. We had the restaurant to ourselves the first morning, at 7am, but it was filled to capacity the next day at 8am - both times the service was relatively quick. We wouldn't stay here again, but it was fine for this trip.

Room Tip: There are some rooms on the back side that are probably quieter, but you can't see your car from...
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2016

We stayed at this Econo Lodge on 6/18/2016. The hotel is a good deal for the money--$67.82 for a non-smoking room with two double beds. I booked this room online and requested a first-floor room which we were given. The room was nice and clean and the beds comfortable. I wanted to take a bath but there were no drain stoppers available. When I inquired at the desk, I was told that they were in the process of remodeling. We were given coupons for breakfast at the Waffle Inn which is attached to the hotel. These coupons are good for a breakfast sandwich (biscuit or toast) and a drink (coffee, tea, or soft drink but not for orange juice which is the same price as the others). We were told that we could "upgrade" the coupons at the hotel but were told at the restaurant that we couldn't.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family