“Great for quick lunch”

Johnny Ray's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #95 of 974 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Stopped in for a quick lunch. My waitress, Kaitlyn, was great and brought me a sweet tea pretty quick. I ordered the Susie Q combo, which is a simple BBQ sandwich with 3 sides. I went with the standard fries, baked beans and cole slaw. She brought my order soon after and the sandwich was fine. Fries were average, nothing special. Baked beans were good and the cole slaw was also. I'm not a big mayo fan, and their cole slaw only had a small amount in it, so I was happy with the consistency. My total was $17.85, but 5 of that was tip because the waitress was very good and quick. Probably would go with something other than fries on my next visit, but everything else was very good.

1  Thank Toby F

Reviewed 18 July 2017

My initial assumption of Johnny Ray's was it is an old school BBQ spot and would no doubt have perfected its menu. First - I will say the meat was delicious and the sauce, although extremely tangy, was very good. So in regards to the BBQ portion it was a 5/5 (Certainly different than a typical BBQ Flavor). The sides however is where I was not as impressed. I got Onion rings, Mac-n-Cheese, and Fried pickles. All three have the same exact issue - cooked perfectly (Crunchy Fried pickles and Onion Rings) Huge onion rings by the way, but they lacked in flavor big time. The Mac-n-Cheese was basically flavorless. The Fried pickles barely had any pickle flavor and I had to dip both them and the onion rings in the dipping sauce just to eat them. They did not taste bad - just very bland.

1  Thank AndyS893
Reviewed 15 June 2017

My wife and I visited Johnny Ray's BBQ on a Saturday for lunch. We ate at this restaurant quite regularly 25 years ago, but haven't visited in many years. My wife reminisced about the signature Banana Pie and wanted to try it again. At 1:30 in the afternoon the restaurant wasn't busy and we were seated immediately. The restaurant and restrooms were very clean. ESPN was showing on the TV's. Our waitress was friendly and prompt. My wife ordered the 2 rib plate and I ordered the BBQ Pork Nachos. We both ordered water to drink. Our food arrived quickly and was served very hot. I found everything to be as wonderful as I remembered 25 years ago. The BBQ sauce was tangy and served warm. My wife's ribs were cooked perfectly. The beans and fries were outstanding. My nachos were piled high and full of meat and other toppings. Then for the main reason we visited. Although we were very full, we ordered the Banana Pie!! 25 years later and Johnny Ray's still serves the best Banana Pie out there anywhere!! Our meals with tip ran around $30. Thank you Johnny Ray's for continuing to serve the same great food you served 25 years ago!!

Reviewed 24 May 2017

Long time favorite restaurant for BBQ, but several locations have closed. Great sauce that makes any dish better. Sides come in good proportions and the dessert pies are to die for! Great family atmosphere, with quick service and reasonable pricing. You've got to give this place a try!

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Johnny Ray's is known for its chicken, and it doesn't disappoint. Fabulous as always This time we got ribs, and they were more tender and flavorful than any we've ever eaten.
Sides were abundant and great. We got fried okra, not a normal choice for us, but I highly recommend it. The okra pieces were huge and fried with a thick crust. Just great! Get the fried okra!
Five of us were eating, and we ordered take-out. We had a coupon for "Buy 1 entrée, get one free". The entrée of chicken was about $14, so we got 2, one for free, then we ordered the ribs (with 5 ribs in one entrée), for about the same price. Sharing 3 entrees was plenty for 5 of us, and we all ate for about $6.50 each. The coupon kept the price reasonable for us, so we were thankful for it.
This place, to me, is NOT located in a place where it would naturally be expected to do well (it just seems like it's stuck in a corner), and the inside of the place isn't necessarily inviting---but the quality of food has kept it going all these many years. Delicious! Worth a visit! Recommended.