See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I stayed here for two nights. The suite was reserved for me by my tour company. It was quite a large suite, much larger than what I'm used to. There was a wood-panelled wall partition between the sitting area and the sleeping area, the partition had a large flat-screen TV mounted on a swivel, so that you had a choice of watching TV from the sitting area or from the bed. Overall the room was clean and comfortable. Air-con took a minute or two to kick in, but once it got started, it was just fine. There was complimentary bottled water, tea and instant coffee in the room, and an electric kettle. Wifi worked just fine.

Breakfast buffet was enjoyable and delicious.

Location is a little away from the Old City in the center of Luoyang, but it's basically on the same main street a mile or two to the west. If you walk down the street to the west past of couple of long blocks and stoplights, there's a fairly built-up shopping area including a Wanda Plaza shopping mall, with a variety of restaurant and fast food options.

Staff might or might not have all spoken English? They were friendly, and at least willing to give it a try.

Best experience: In the late afternoon, I asked a woman at the front desk if I could get a taxi at 7:00 pm. Yes, she said, that was no problem. I went up to the room to relax for a bit.

At 7:00, I went down to the lobby. The woman at the desk recognized me and came out to help. But, instead of a taxi waiting, she leads me out to the main street, hails a taxi for me by hand, and carefully tells the driver for me where I'd like to go (to the Old City) so that there's no misunderstandings and I wouldn't get lost. I really appreciated the extra effort!

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2016

We arrived at the Peony Hotel it was past its best and rather stuck in the past.
We had to leave early the next day so breakfast would be served early only problem was the breakfast was cooked the night before and re heated.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2016

Our room was clean but very poorly maintained, the shower was functional. There was the smell is cigarette smock throughout the hotel, including the non smoking room. The bed was supper hard, almost unusable, the floor was considered, although it would have been to smelly. Our friends had ash in their sink although their bed was softer. Breakfast was ok.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

I stayed there on 20 Oct 2015 during a group tour to Henan. it is an old hotel with small room, free wifi, bath tub, friendly front desk staff but poor air conditioning. Indeed the room is warm for most of the hotel that we stayed at Henan, not sure if it is an environmental friendly policy of the state government. We had dinner at their banquet hall. Cutlery was dirty, food was tasteless and waitress was rude. BUT surprisingly the buffet breakfast was great.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Wee W
Reviewed 26 July 2015

We arrived only to find dirty used towels in the bathroom. Weird as they left fresh towels where they should be but forgot the dirty used ones (from someone else). That was disappointing. The windows were grubby, the bed REALLY hard but fortunately there was a comforter in the closet in the room so I re-made the bed with this under the sheet which helped a lot. The sign in the bathroom was a shocker advertising massage and sauna showing a girl in lingerie massaging a guy wearing a smile and scanty towel. Ewwww. However the area was interesting, you turn right outside the hotel and you come across a good bag shop and a night market alongside the river there. Go over the river and cross the road and from what looks like a temple is actually a huge square and in there are people in groups doing various types of dance (you can join in). that was fun. Lots of convenience stores around there. It was odd from our room we could see coal stacks from furnaces for electricity. Not remote but in the area, surrounded by houses/buildings. Go figure. I think the hotel was once really fancy but has fallen on hard times and is now for lonely businessmen - or that was the overall feel. It did the job though and we slept fine (thanks to that extra padding).

Room tip: The front ones are going to be noisier with the street horns going all the time
Date of stay: July 2015