“Lovely setting”

River View Hotel
Ranked #24 of 130 Restaurants in Yangshuo County
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 October 2016

We enjoyed several meals during our four night stay at this hotel. The setting is wonderful - an inviting terrace across the narrow road from the riverside promenade overhung with trees. - a place where you can relax with a beer or something eat. Caters for foreigners so the English menu serves recognizable food - not the cheapest, but not too bad. (I still enjoyed the stir fired rice the best - the noodles are of the 2min variety). A lovely place to sit and chill and just soak up the atmosphere across from the River Li where an old fisherman sits in a boat with his cormorants, and in the morning children scamper past on their way to school

Date of visit: September 2016
2  Thank JoySmith

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

As you can imagine the view over the river Li is just Incredible. ....
The rooms are big enough, clear and clean.
The staff is really nice and helpful.
The restaurant is good with a large variety if chinese and western dishes.
Ideal for families with kids.
The atmodphere is great, you will enjoy your time there !

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 17 July 2016

4 years since our last visit and what a let down. Firstly, the location has changed to smaller, older premises where we used to eat. This part of the hotel is a real mismatch. First room was small and rear view, changed to another room 4th floor, NO LIFT, up in the rafters literally and kept hitting our heads on beam. Had to pay top rate for river view, which was overpriced; noisy all night till 3am across the road. We changed again for a much nicer/bigger room, rear view. This time the noise came from guests who had a very loud, violent and physical fight for 35 minutes on the landing outside our room which the management did nothing about till much later. A M spoke to desk and they knew nothing. Had to contact night staff. The hotel is tired and most rooms need a big upgrade. Food very average. I could write a book on this place but VERY sorry we went back.

Date of visit: July 2016
3  Thank rizzo179
Reviewed 12 June 2016

Spent 3 days at the hotel had a room with a river view on the forth floor, not worth booking a room on 1st or 2nd floor as the view will be obstructed by the trees. 2 streets away from West St. Most of the receptionist staff spoke good English. There is a communal computer for guests to use but you can only access Chinese web sites. I found tours by the hotel were 20 RMB more expensive than tours offered by outside agencies but if you informed the hotel of this they would match the price.

Food at the hotel was better priced than food offered at other restaurants, do not try Yangshuo noodles all it is, is 2 minute noodles with vegetables.

My only concern was when I asked for a taxi to be booked early in the morning to take me to the bus station they asked an employees husband to take me I was quoted 20 rob which I accepted even though the previous day I paid 15 rmb for a taxi. He arrived at 6.40am and immediately asked for the money I told him bus first. He drove me to the South station stopped across the road and suggested I walk across. I said no North bus station once again he asked fro money I said no bus first, he reluctantly drove the extra few minutes to the North station. Who knows what would have happened if I had paid him first.

Please do not use this employees husband book a taxi will cost you less and no stress.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 18 September 2015

Probably one of the best dinners we had on a two-week trip around China. Relaxed and friendly, close to the river in a peaceful corner of town - ideal for a break from the bright lights of West Street. I'm sure this is what Yangshou was like before it was "discovered" by tourists! Great choice of home cooked Chinese dishes, all of them excellent.

Date of visit: August 2015