Stayed at room #401 for 6 nights from Oct 29 for 70 rmb/night. Booked through HostelBookers though really it was not necessary since it is the off season. This hotel is really a great deal when you compare this to a room in a popular hostel for 110/night. However it is located in a lane full of local hotels(budget) and not in the touristy river area. Having said this, the swanky New Century Hotel which is popular with foreign tour groups is just located facing the carpark.
What I liked about the place:
1. Room cleaned everyday, the cleaners do a good job.
2. strong in room wifi (a terminal is available in lobby)
3. Hot water and kettle for making your own drinks
4. Only 5 mins from bus station behind the swanky New Century hotel , 10 mins easy walk from river with plenty of restaurants, supermarkets very convenient
5. Bike rental from 10 rmb onwards
6. Not pushy with selling tours
7. Most luxurious toilet paper
8. either Stephen or Lily is always available to answer your questions
What I did not like (at this price, I am really nitpicking)
1. No elevator
2. you have to wake up staff if you want to leave the hotel before 7 am
3. Insufficient tourist information, you have to know what to ask for. However there is a tourist office located in the carpark where you can get good(free) maps
4. This is an interesting street, if you turn right leaving the hotel. However it should not bother you if you are not looking out for this.
5. It is not a hostel where you socialise in the reception area
Tips for Yangshuo:
1. You can get a Li river raft to Fuli for 100 rmb
2. Check out the popular claypot restaurant from 10 rmb (basic) to 16 rmb(choose 2 meat and 2 vegetables)
Top this with a fried egg(2 rmb) Delicious !
3. Outdoor clothing shopping on West St, check out the shop with no signboard opp the McDonalds and Goretex shoes (at Keen Shoes) Bargain hard, the male proprietors are reasonable
and prices are better than Beijing silk market and Shanghai.
4. Day trip to XingPing, take a bus ride for 7 rmb
5. Bicycle ride to Yulong River and Moon Hill