“absolute disgrace”
Review of Hikers Hostel

Hikers Hostel
Reviewed 2 November 2015

this hostel is one of the worst hostels ive been to since the new people who are in charge took over,the showers are broken the bedding is one sheet and one rough blanket,you have to walk up an almighty hill because the taxis wont bring you up,if your not fit dont bother even trying to reach this place, and you cant even get a coffee or tea when you arrive,the plague would be more welcome here. avoid this place at all costs,you have been warned

Room Tip: eight beds in a small room
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

I LOVED the hostel! From the second I entered, the whole place made me feel so comfortable as if I was home. There's a large lovely yard where you can enjoy your cup of coffee, having a terrific view over the hills! Mila is an amazing host who is easy to talk to and gives a very positive vibe. Wonderful hostel.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2015

i came for one night. stayed two. came back, stayed a week... its 10 years ago now. and i still came back every year at least one time...spend 100somthing nights here by now, think there will be more...

in general, its just a small, cosy hostel with a great view.

but it has very special features:

- a lot of space, especially outside: choose the upper terasse to sit under winegrapes. or prefare the lower one under the walnut tree? or relax in the balcony lounge or in the common area...

- legendary staff: toshu and mila working there for years. still giving service with a lot of heart. toshu is a lot around too his other hostels. but if he is in the veliko turnovo hikers, he usually invites everybody for bbq and rakija. mila is a studied philosophier, so do not miss a deep or not too deep talk with her ... if you can stand her stroooong coffee.

- a special atmosphere: in the first years it was a buisy party hostel. now its calmer. marketing was basically stopped "we dont need money, we need the right guests" so, the house seems to find the right people. in any nationality combinations "hikers" meet to drink, talk, hear music, sing with gitarrs, cook together - and enjoy the time. must guests come for a night and stay three...or weeks and months...

- special suroundings: great student and cultural city veliko turnovo. lightshow, caste, bars, great restaurants...but dont eat too much (straslivica or stratilat highly invites you ;) cause hikers is 10 min up a hill... ;)

- great nature facilitys. starting 7 min away from the hostel: waterfalls, rocks, hiking trails...

choose the 10bed dorm, a cosy double, tent, hammock...

breakfast, wifi, sheets, towl, citymap, travel advices, 24h tea and coffe, ...... included.
kitchen use, lockers, blabla bla, you know...

as there is a hikers hostel in plowdiv and flag hostel in varna, you will get a discount nearly everywhere in bulgaria if you once signed to be a hiker.

go there and enjoy hikers family! <3 :)

Room Tip: the double ot "the cave" for couples, i prefer the hammak under the walnut tree
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2014

I was planning on going to Hostel Mostel for their tour of the UFO building, but they were being really annoying and unhelpful about scheduling. After a MONTH of giving me the runaround, and with my departure date from Bulgaria pending, I finaly desperately called this hostel on a lead from a blog, and got the fabulous Mila on the phone. She is a total sweetheart. Her English is great. When I told her my plight, she told me that they don't do the tour normally, but she'd call a few people and get back to me. She called around and found someone who found someone who would take me for a great price! Then she called me back, and after a few calls back and forth, set it all up for me. Just that bit of personal service really set me up for a great experience at Hikers Hostel. When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised. The hostel was charming and rustic looking but clean and well set up. I loved the hammock in the common room upstairs with a great view of the amazing fortress / castle -- though winter is not really the season for hammocks. In the common room downstairs, I always found people, food, and rakia flowing freely. It was so warm and fun. I had some amazing Bulgarian bean soup and gyuvech (stew in a ceramic pot)! Due to it being low season, I got to stay in the ten person room alone, which was nice. Something the hostel could address is the lack of plugs in that room -- easy enough with an extension cord. Even for me alone with all my devices to charge I had to switch them out often. I can't imagine with ten people. I had been worried about being warm enough, but the heating was great and there was even a little heater in the bathroom which made it nice and toasty all the time -- it was right near the toilet, which made it VERY nice :) -- I felt like I was using a Japanese warming toilet seat. Anyway, I would totally come back to this hostel. Great people, cute hostel, met all my needs. And the UFO building is a must see in this area!!!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hostel wasn't as brightly painted as others might be, but it felt very relaxed and friendly. It was easy to spend too much time there with the friendly staff over a cup of coffee in the sunshine.

I also felt like I was somehow part of a long line of historic hikers in staying here, that someday I will run into someone else who stayed here and we can reminisce about a nap in the common room hammock. Maybe it's just that it feels so comfortable and lived in.

It's an uphill walk from the touristy strip but that means that it offers a killer view of the fort from the upstairs common room and is also only about five minutes from hiking on trails. It is Hikers Hostel, after all, not Preppy Sorority House. I'm pointing that out because it took me a while before it occurred to me that it was for Hikers and not Backpackers. And that's when I ended up on the trails in inappropriate footwear.

It's not particularly close to the bus stations. One isn't a bad walk (Yug) and there's another bus station out at the western edge of town that is worth waiting for the #10 bus.

I read of some of the other reviews and there is a point there that the free breakfast isn't as substantial as you might get at home. But there is a bakery down the street where you can get a good bite for just a lev (50 cents I think).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo