“Thumbs up for Nath for making Sao Paulo interesting to visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rent a Local Friend
Ranked #8 of 77 Tours in Sao Paulo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore the local Sao Paulo, behind the touristic scene, with a Local Friend.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Thumbs up for Nath for making Sao Paulo interesting to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Nath is absolutely fantastic. She was my companion for the day, patiently listening to all my natter about family and so on, whilst we walked around visiting lovely parks, a museum, local market, good lunch cafe and interesting little shops in an artistic neighbourhood. It is very different to a regular guided tour as this is tailored to your interests only and Nath is a very personable young lady. Beyond the call of duty she helped us out in the evening as the taxi got lost and she spoke to the driver on the mobile to give him directions! Altogether highly recommendable.

Visited December 2011

The Netherlands
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Exploring the secrets of Sao Paulo's Concrete Jungle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Sao Paulo is so immense, one would certainly get lost (not to mention totally confused) without a guide. Nath kept fastidious notes on my "wish list" and planned our route carefully considering time, distance and energy. With only one full day available, we were able to ENJOY boutiques, ateliers, gastronomic specialities, artistic areas, by foot in a leisurely pace talking to the locals and finding out what makes this industrial capital tick. Let me not to forget to mention that she took us on - ON HER BIRTHDAY - which we celebrated with Dutch treats (the edible kind, not the financial one ; -) and Brazilian pastries.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank SINFULiving
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Good way to explore Sao Paulo if you're traveling solo...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I travel a lot on business and whenever I find myself in another country, I like to at least have a day or two extra added on to the trip so I can explore/vacation. Sao Paulo was one of the more intimidating cities for me to visit...mostly because I was warned of the high crime rates over and over by friends and colleagues (many of whom frankly had never actually been there.) I decided to search for a private tour guide and found Rent a Local Friend on Trip Advisor. Nath was already booked the day I was looking for a guide, but quickly set me up with someone else -- Mariana. Mariana picked me up from my hotel on a Saturday morning and we ventured through the city for half a day. We started at MASP (the only actual thing on my list to see...a museum)...and the rest of the day I let her decide what to see and where to go. It worked out really well because I didn't have time to do much research in advance, and really wanted someone local to tell me what to focus on...what to see. We walked through local parks, saw several local monuments, markets and neighborhoods. What I loved: I didn't feel like a tourist at all. And I felt very safe. Would highly recommend Rent a Local Friend and Mariana specifically to anyone heading to Sao Paulo solo or even with friends/family. Great way to explore the city with a local and like a local! PS: Prices very reasonable. I just to have us take taxis and walk for the most part to save time vs. public transportation.

Visited November 2011
7 Thank vlovesmangoes
manila
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“memorable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I ended up going to Sao Paulo alone since my friends weren't able to make it. I contacted Nath and she was very prompt in replying to my inquiries. Told her where I wanted to go and she took note of those.

She fetched me at my hotel and we walked, took the bus, took a cab going to the places we had to. She wasn't hesitant to take photos of you anywhere you want to. She asks you where you want to go next or what you want to do first. She makes you feel that it's your trip, so it's your call on where you want to go and when.

I opened up with her with a lot of issues haha. You know what I mean Nath and she was just there to listen and help you in anyway she could. Too bad I didn't get the last thing I wanted to experience because of resources and security concerns. Overall, I enjoyed my time with her.

Well, this is advisable if you have enough budget to hire a local friend (to me it was soo expensive from where I come from, well everything in SP is) But if you have the money, then go ahead.. :)

Visited November 2011
2 Thank khrise
Kurrajong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Perfect way to explore the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We contacted Nath before the trip, explained our preferences & she cordinated what we could fit into the 4 hr tour.
We found out how the metro works, different ethnic parts of the city, & found places that no tourist goes to.
We ended up at the Markets for a lovely meal.
Nath even found a brand of Brazillian underwar we had been hunting for & emailed us 2 locations to buy them.
She explained the History & social aspects as well,we personally dont like TOURS but this is different, personal & full of usefull information.

Visited October 2011