“Best dining experience in Brazil!”

Ostradamus Bar e Restaurante
Ranked #17 of 4,409 Restaurants in Florianopolis
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2017

What can we say? Restaurant is so beautiful in this distant and super cute fishermen village. The restaurant is the best dining experience we have ever had! We sat on the pier from where we could see the oyster farms. Eduardo, the sommelier, what a great man! We advised us on what to eat which we truly appreciate it. We have this smoked oyster flambé on cognac with honey and ginger sauce. Out if this world experience. We had always a smile and was extremely friendly and helpful without being intrusive. Best service we have ver had really! Food is outstanding. Next time we might just stick with trying all the different variations of oysters though. Wine list is extensive too. Visually speaking, one of the most beautiful restaurants we have ever laid our eyes on. We were pleased that we were seated at the pier instead of inside the main buildings as the view from the pier was priceless.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank 355Stella
Write a ReviewReviews (4,457)

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We asked for the fish and grille shrimp. The dish was well done. Fish was well cooked. The portion was generous. We ate it in 3 people. But the noisette potato was bad. The potato was cooked many hours/day ago so the taste was bad. The beer was cold and nice brand - Colorado Apia. It was not memorable. Place is very nice. Service was great.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

sorry to say, but this ( second ) time my experience at this restaurant was " so-so ": first no answer or confirmation to reservation requests ( via their website over 48 hours prior and second via WhatsApp, as they request ). second the waiter ( Rafael ) did not convince, as he did not take care of a good and flowing service ( it took very long before we got the main dishes and after insisting on desserts, he finally came to just back tell us that the chosen dessert was not available. how can this happen? a simple creme brulée, not in mise-en-place...) and finally when leaving, I mention my mixed satisfaction, but neither the waiter, nor the cashier ( manager? ) were able to pick-up on my complaint. I think at this price, the suite of events is not acceptable and thus a mediocre qualification. overall to me a display of the owner not being there to take care of business and things not working during his absence. the dishes were good, except the rice plate, which was not as balanced as the first time, where I remembered it excellent ( too many almonds and almost no figues, and I didn't perceive the flambé on cachaça neither ). the grilled seafood was excellent. the sauce was served cold ( not sure this is the best way to taste and enjoy it ). we did not have dessert or coffee.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Lovely situated at the border of the lagua, perfectly decorated, perfect service, enormous choice of oyster, squid and fish preparations. Yes not cheap, but value for money worth every penny.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 18 April 2017

A friend of my wife is Brazilian and went to university in Floripa. The first recommendation she made was go to Ostradamus for the oysters. Of course we heeded her advice and went for an early (by Brazilian standards) Saturday dinner there. We definitely weren't disappointed, although at their prices, I would be more pissed if I didn't like it.

We started off with a dozen locally-farmed oysters on the half shell. As an American, I am used to eating them with cocktail sauce and a lot of horseradish to give them a kick. The Brazilians down them with a little lemon and hot sauce, which was good enough for me. They were about as fresh as you can get, probably pulled right out of the bay just hours ago. For our main, we had the Brazilian version of paella: It had rice, octopus, oysters, and mushrooms. I can't remember the name but it tasted amazing. My wife, who is very finicky, loved it. We paired it off with a good bottle of Argentine Malbec. The wine list was diverse but I wouldn't call it particularly comprehensive.

Ostradamus's decor was modern but still functional. I loved the way the dining room was surrounded by floor-to-ceiling windows as if perched right on top of a dock (it was). This was an upscale restaurant, but not to the point where it is stifling. The ambiance still had a relaxed casualness to it, at least to the early dinner crowd around 8p. There was nothing pretentious about the restaurant, a nice break from similar restaurants back home in DC. Service was good but it could have been a bit more attentive.

Overall I give Ostradamus a glowing 4.75 stars. The only places I knocked them down that quarter point was that the waitstaff could have been more responsive, and the restaurant is a hike from just about anywhere in Floripa. However, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the food and view anywhere on the island. Even if you're not hungry, I'd recommend stopping in just to try the oysters and a cocktail while watching the tide roll away (thanks, Otis Redding).

Date of visit: April 2017