See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Casa 579 is situated in the hills, a delightful and pretty part of Rio. It is safe and secluded yet close to public transport. The famous Santa Teresa tram was out of operation while I was there and the bus was certainly an experience. Taxis are not expensive down the hill. High ivy walls, winding cobblestone streets and fabulous views add to its charm. Private rooms and dorms offer views and the Redeemer glows nearby. Drinks at sunset on the roof a must and see the bush monkeys who visit each morning for breakfast. I want to thank the young American woman who helped when I wasn't well. Staff here are very helpful! Lovely cafe at the top of the hill with splendid views over Rio at night - simply spectacular... I also stayed at the beach to see the best of both worlds. I love the hills

Room Tip: Privates are good upstairs, the dorms are roomy and fine - they could do with a little colour and freshening up.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thanks for your lovely review. We agree that the hills of Santa Teresa are better than the beaches too! It's also great to hear that you enjoyed our local restaurant Gauchos, having a cold drink on our roof terrace and that Lyna looked after you when you weren't well.
Thanks again for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.
Warmest regards from Rio,

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I went to Casa 579 first only for 2 nights and as it was such a great place stayed 2 more nights. And I would have liked to stay there even more time just because of the atmosphere. All staff was incredible friendly, the rooms were big and the breakfast was very good with everything you desire. During breakfast I even saw a tucan and from the living/breakfast room and from the roof top terrace you have a gorgeous view over the city. So what more to desire?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Great to hear that you loved the views and that we looked after you well. We try really hard to make everyone feel at home and to help as much as possible booking tours and transfers to give you more time to enjoy Santa Teresa and Rio. Thanks so much for the great review.
We wish you all the best in your future travels.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed at Casa 579 for 4 nights and had a great stay. The staff were very helpful and most spoke good English. They arranged tours for us, airport transfers and gave us good advice when it came to getting around the city and choosing things to do. One member of staff even printed off a Google map for us when we asked for advice on the best way to get to a museum in the centre of Rio. I really felt at home here and safe during my stay. We booked a twin en-suite room, which was specious and clean. The breakfast was good, some great cake! One morning we even had the chance to feed the small monkey's which live in the trees surrounding Casa. The view from the roof terrace was stunning, we could see the Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer. We could also see this statue from our room window. I would stay here again if I ever went back to Rio and have meet like minded travellers here that will hopefully be friends for life!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LexScotland
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thanks very much for leaving such a nice review. We're glad that you felt at home here and it's nice to know that you would come back again if you were ever in Rio. It's great that you liked the views from our roof terrace, seeing people's reactions when they arrive always makes us happy !
All the best for your future travels.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I went to Casa 579 on a friend's recommendation, and I wasn't disappointed.
The place has a really friendly vibe, helped by the people who work there. My dorm room was super comfy and I didn't even mind being woken by the friendly marmosets who live in the trees surrounding the property.
Breakfast was great, with a huge variety of food and drinks.
It was my first time in Rio but I was given a map and shown all the key places to go, as well as how to get there, which proved more than useful.
Casa 579 has strong links with a local favela (Julio Ortoni) and I got to spend an evening watching a community production produced by the staff of Casa 579 who also volunteer in the favela, which is something I hadn't expected but am glad I got to see and experience something that not everyone gets the chance to.

If I ever go back to Rio I'll make sure I stay there again, as well as recommend it to friends... the views from the terrace of Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer alone are worth the trip!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

We're happy to hear that you liked Casa's vibe, breakfast and our friendly monkeys and that you got the chance to see the kids from our local community centre perform. We also thought it was a great experience. Thanks for the lovely review and we look forward to seeing you next time you're in Rio.
All the best,
Kiri, Natalia and the whole team at Casa 579.

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

My friend and I arrived much earlier than our check in time @ Casa 579. No matter, we were given a tour of the house, beautiful inside and out, unbelievable view from the terrace of Rio, and Christ the Redeemer. We were aloud in our room early, plenty of space, two windows that opened for the perfect climate to roll thru the room. Everyone that works there couldn't have been more polite or hospitable. Breakfast lunch and dinner was prepared every day whether we were there or not. And the employees played live music on the terrace every night, while playing bartender for us. To top it all off, the employees all volunteer at a Favela. Teaching the children there language, music, and art. We got invited to the Favela via Casa 579, to watch a little production put on by the children. It was an experience that will never be equaled. If I ever go back to Rio De Janeiro, this little B&B will be my 1st pick to stay. Rio has TONS of great beaches, but only one Casa 579 in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed: July 2013
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

We wholeheartedly thank you for such a brilliant review. It's great that you appreciate how much we try to make our guests feel welcome no matter what time of the day or night they arrive and that you enjoyed the musical performance put on by the kids we teach at our local favela. Whilst we don't play music every night we do have an international staff a couple of whom are fantastic musicians and whenever enough guests are interested we are happy to open our bar and eat together and play music. We welcome guests to come and eat and play with us and even take an afternoon out to come and see our community work.

Thanks again for your stay and recognizing our work.

All the best for your future travels.

Kiri, Natalia, the team at Casa 579 and the kids at Julio Otoni.