1,343 results
All reviews devassa restaurant two blocks attached restaurant great location street noise beach chairs higher floor felt very safe small room enjoyed my stay ipanema umbrellas brazil neighborhood closet metro rooftop
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This hotel is a great value! We stayed 4 nights in early March. It is in a great location within Ipanema. It's only two blocks from the beach and within walking distance to the restaurants, bars, and nightlife in Ipanema (the area is very safe to walk at night). It's also only 10-15 minute cab ride to the restaurants in Lebon or Copacabana beach. The hotel has been recently renovated. Rooms are simple with modern elements and very clean. The breakfast is excellent. It offers a good variety of fruits, pastries, cold and hot dishes. The breakfast is actually in the DeVassa restaurant, which is adjacent to the lobby. The hotel also offers complimentary beach towels and chairs. You can just pick them up/drop them off in lobby. We felt the staff was very helpful whenever we had questions about the places we wanted to go. Mini bar prices are very reasonable and the fridge has plenty of space for you to put your own things. The only thing that I would note as a room for improvement is that we noticed a few instances of the towels having stains on them. They were clean nevertherless, and other than that, our stay was great. Given the narrow selection of boutique, new, or newly-renovated properties in Ipanema and Copacabana, this hotel is a solid 4 st arand a GREAT VALUE. We would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

Date of stay: March 2012
1  Thank DCFrequent_Traveller
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear guest,

First of all thank you so much for your great review! I have to say that I love when our guests post pictures of the hotel. These pictures are the most reliable source of information for future guests staying with us, and I can´t thank you enough for doing so!
I am so happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us! All of our rooms are 100% renovated, and yes, sometimes it could be difficult to find a brand new hotel in Rio. I am glad you pointed that out!
About the towels, please rest assured that I´ll meet with our housekeeper and our general manager urgently to address this matter, which is absolutely not acceptable for us.
Again, thank you so much for your kind comments! I hope you can stay with us again very soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed here in March with some friends after a business trip in Rio. The hotel was clean and perfectly serviceable. We had three ladies -- this two weeks' worth of luggage each -- in a very small room with three twin beds. It was cramped to say the least, but very comfortable.

I emailed the hotel ahead of booking with some questions. The management replied within 12 hours answering all of my questions. I only have nice things to say about the management -- from reservations, to dining suggestions, to splitting the bill onto our three credit cards at the end -- super helpful.

We had friends staying on the Copa side, so we never used the umbrella and towel services available during the day time, but we did use towels one night to go down to the beach for night time beach drinking. Very convenient location to the beach, well lit and well situated.

Breakfast is offered in the neighboring restaurant / bar. It's pretty standard Brazilian breakfast buffet fare -- just fine and included in the price.

Overall, a very good value and location!

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank MrDarcyAndElizabeth

Dear guest,

What a great review about your recent stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it and sharing your experience with other future guests!

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and even happier to know how helpful our staff was during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us!

I have to say that going to the beach for sunset/night drinks is definitely a great idea!! It is so relaxing to sit down at the beach, having a cold beer or coconut water and enjoying the sea breeze. Good tip!

Again, thank you so much for your comments! Wish you all the best!

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Staff spoke English, knew the bus schedules, managing reservationist was very welcoming and willing to help with travel plans---she even had bowls in the room for my service dog!

Date of stay: June 2012
1  Thank Suzanne079

Dear guest,

It was an honor to meet you and your family (dog included, obviously)! Thank so much for your kind words! I wonder how the rest of your trip went. I hope everything worked out fine for you.

It was a pleasure having you here, and I hope that we can see each other again in the future!

Again, thank you very much for your comments about our great staff!

Best wishes!

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Good location, in the middle of Ipanema, just 150 metres from the Ipanema beach (Posto 10) and 250 metres from the Lagoa. Ipanema is a much better location than Ipanema. A lot of nice restaurants in the vicinity, trendy and not to expensive (e.g: Market, Gula Gula, Balada Mix, Zazá Bistro, Via7,...) and of course the Devassa bar, in the same building of the hotel, which is where they serve breakfast. The breakfast buffet is very good (nice bread, homemade cakes, natural fruit juices ...). Bus stops to everywhere, just in front of the Hotel; dont worry, it´s safe do ride the buses, and also inexpensive (around 2.75 reais per trip). Take the 511 bus to Pao de Acucar, and the 583 bus to the tram station to Corcovado), avoid spending money in City Tours. To go the historical centre, take the "Metro na superficie" and then the Metro. I recommend the day trip to Angra dos reis (boat trip, with 4 stops to swim, and lunch included). Overall,a nearly perfect place to enjoy Rio de Janeiro. But don´t expect luxury. Helpful staff.

Date of stay: July 2012
2  Thank Joao B

Dear guest,

Wowwww!!! Such a complete review!!! Not only you are helping guests pick a hotel to stay, but you are also helping them to move around the city! Great tips there!
Thank you very much for your awesome review! We really appreciate that you took time to share your comments and suggestions with other guests!
On behalf of our staff I would like to thank you so much for doing so, and we hope to see you again very soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Very nice hotel, the location is unbeatable for the price. Very helpful staff and can speak english. I recommend to stay on the higher floors (7 and up) becuase the noise from the street is loud. The only letdown was the average breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2012
1  Thank TerryBogard99

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review and nice comments about our front desk staff! They love to help our guests and suggest nice places to visit! We are also very happy you enjoyed our superb location. It is indeed the most charming block in Rio de Janeiro, full of trendy shops, bars and restaurants,
I was disappointed though that you didn´t not enjoy our breakfast. Our restaurant Armazém Devassa serves one of the best hotel breakfasts in town, with fresh fruits, juices, and also warm dishes. If there is something you would like to suggest so that we can improve it, please send us an email. We would love to hear your feedback!

Again, thank you so much for your comments, and we hope to see you soon!