“good hotel near beach”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #72 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Very good location, felt like a good deal for the money. Beach is very close walk and towels, chairs, and umbrellas provided. Staff was very helpful in sorting you out, esp the gentleman on the night staff with the glasses (didn't get his name!) who had very spot on recommendations for restaurants and send us to cool places. Rooms are a bit small but everything works well and bathrooms have a very nice shower. Devassa cafe has a good breakfast (although the scrambled eggs were a bit runny for some in our group - but inline with the other hotels I've been to in Brazil) and there are other great restaurants in the neighborhood (in fact, there is one side street with several cool restaurants just nearby - sure the front desk would have the name - there is a really great tapas bar/restaurant on that street which was by far our favorite and had great sangria). There is also a nice restaurant with outdoor/garden seating about a block away from the beach on route from the hotel (with the all white facade). Only negative I would say is that I had a connecting door to the room next to mine and could hear them talking very loudly during the day (with the AC on at night the sound was much more muted). My room was totally soundproofed against the noise from the street - not exactly sure why some people complained about this, but perhaps other rooms were not as quiet (and I live in a city, so I'm used to a slight amount of noise). Overall very happy. The rio at night tour was super-touristy and is perhaps to be avoided (I was too tired and just wanted to not plan the evening) but the favela tour is outstanding - there is one recommended by the hotel and another by Zezinho (google him) which is a bit more adventurous (he will take you drinking all night in the favela if you like) and the people on the tour were interesting group. Favela felt very safe and I'm very glad I went. Tried to go hang gliding but the wind was too much both days I was there. Went to Rio Scenarium for live music one night - great choice and a taxi ride away from the hotel - was a good mix of locals and tourists and a very interesting place - didn't have dinner there and in retrospect preferred having a nice dinner somewhere else and just showing up there around midnight. Doormen were very helpful in getting taxis and when I tipped him 2 reals for getting one for me he seemed genuinely happy and appreciative - did it every time afterwards. Final note - much is made of the differences between the Ipanema, Leblon, and Copacabana beaches - frankly, didn't really see the difference myself (perhaps its more evident to the locals). The Copacabana beach was active at around 9pm and despite all the recommendations on the web to stay off the beach at night, when I drove by it in our taxi it was full of people playing beach volleyball, jogging, walking, or having drinks - I would just use common sense but all the warnings about Rio being so dangerous seemed a bit overblown to me.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank drftwdsflm
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to start by thanking you so much for your review! Sounds like you had a great time staying with us!

Let me try to help you figure out the name of the restaurants you mention on your post. The first one you write about is the Spanish tapas bar. The name of this bar is Venga!, and it is located on a street called Rua Garcia D´Ávila, a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Personally, it´s one of my favorite bars in Rio. The other one you mention, with the outdoor/garden seating, might be Balada Mix, a snack bar on a big white house on the block near the beach, good for a quick bite after the beach, am I right?

The reason why people prefer Ipanema to Copacabana, is that Ipanema is more of a residential neighborhood, more trendy, and less touristy. Also, the Ipanema/Leblon area is more sophisticated than Copacabana.

Again, thank you very much for you delightful review! It will be a pleasure to host you again in a near future.

All the best!

Amanda Abreu - Sales Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed in a so called deluxe room ( they are all on 4th floor). Not sure why it was called deluxe, perhaps because of the big whirlpool bath which was not all that useful. The room was clean but quite dated with single pane windows which provided very little soundproofing from the busy street intersection below us. The good news was that the street noise was pretty much drowned out by the AC. Theoretically it was a split system but the external unit was installed right outside the window, which made it as loud, if not more, as a regular window system.
I realize that Rio is one of the most expensive cities in the world - hotel-wise - but I was hoping for something better for $400 a night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. However, I feel the need to clarify some aspects of your post.

There are some differences between our deluxe rooms to our other room categories, not only the jacuzzi tub. All of the deluxe rooms are located in an exclusive floor, with only 5 rooms. The rooms are much larger than the other rooms in the hotel, and they have a more sophisticated decoration. These rooms were recently renovated, and have different amenities, such as bath robes and slippers, and larger LCD TV sets.

All of our rooms have split air conditioners, and none of the rooms in the hotel have external air conditioner sets installed (not only the deluxe). Also, all rooms in the hotel are equipped with a double glazed windows. The area in which the hotel is located is very lively, and more sensitive guests can be bothered with noises from the street at certain times of the day.

Concerning the daily rate, our rate for this room is R$519 + 5% tax, which would be, considering today´s exchange rate, equivalent to US$274 + 5% tax. Did you book your reservation directly with the hotel or through a travel agency? It would be important to know since we do not offer rates higher than these.

Thank you for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay during your trip to Rio de Janeiro, and I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I really liked the Mar Ipanema

Pros
Wood floors in rooms. Love wood floors.
Free wifi everywhere.
Great breakfast at the bar next door.
Bar is very lively in the evening, and it's not a hotel bar but more of a local bar.
Nice location with lots of restaurants and bars nearby.
Close to the beach, but we didn't go.
Loved the bellman! He knew that I had this huge box with me and was very helpful in getting the box in and out of taxis and the luggage room.

Cons
Only two small lifts and they were a bit slow.
While we were there, there were a number of groups coming in and out of the hotel with lots of luggage, which made the elevators even slower.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Krista N
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review and nice comments about the hotel and our staff! I am very glad that our bellmen helped you out so well. I will be sure to forward your compliments to our bellstaff.
I am also very happy that you are a fan of wood floors! We believe that wood floors are more hygienic than carpets, especially since the hotel is so close to the beach. I am just so sorry that you didn´t have the time to go to Ipanema Beach. Well, next time you come to Rio on business you can plan ahead and spend a weekend before or after to enjoy the city.
Concerning our two elevators, since we are a small property, I believe that having two elevators is quite enough. From what I understood, the groups had a lot of luggage and this could possibly be the reason why the elevators were taking long to arrive to the lobby. I apologize for this inconvenience.
We really appreciate your business, and look forward to many return visits in the future!
Best regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We found the staff very good, english wasnt a problem, and they were able to give us good advise and find us english speaking taxi drivers and guides. The rooms were very clean, the breakfast was good and the attached restaurant/pub was very convenient. The walk to the beach was only a few blocks and was never a problem safety wise. The streets were busy and friendly during the day, we didnt stay out much past dark. Lots of banks, shops and restaurants close by. I would definitely recomment this hotel for a few days in Rio.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank niko1721

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review and nice comments about our friendly staff! All of us here at Mar Ipanema Hotel are very happy knowing you had a very nice stay! I am also very glad to know that you enjoyed our prime location.

Thank you also for posting pictures of your room. I am sure that this helps future guests on choosing where to stay in their upcoming trips to Rio.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I vacationed in Rio (Ipanema and Buzios) with friends for about 10 days in April and got to know the area pretty well, for a tourist. Mar Ipanema is in a fantastic location - 2 blocks from the beach and surrounded by lots of shops and restaurants.

We had been debating over an ocean front hotel vs. Mar Ipanema (which does not have an ocean view, that I'm aware of), and were glad we went with Mar Ipanema. The ocean front hotels really didn't seem all that much nicer for the money. Plus, with the ocean front hotels, the shopping and restaurants aren't right outside your door and the ocean boardwalk can get a little quiet at night. Mar Ipanema seemed more centrally located.

The rooms are small, but clean and simple. If you stay on a lower floor (5 down), you will hear street noise since the area is bustling most of the day/night. The hotel offers towels, chairs and umbrellas for you to use while at the beach, which is only a 5 minute walk away. (The beach seemed to be less packed with people and vendors during the week before 12pm). Also, there is free wi-fi and breakfast at the hotel.

The bar downstairs, Devassa, is always buzzy, which is a bonus. If you had a long day and didn't feel like going too far, you could easily just walk downstairs and grab a bite/eat at a pretty lively bar.

Lastly, most of the staff is really friendly and helpful. We loved this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors (6+) have less street noise.