11 people are viewing this hotel
PricelineUS$125
Hotels.comUS$128
HurbUS$130
4,888 results
All reviews copacabana beach top floor rooftop restaurant excellent location junior suite sea view enjoyed my stay an amazing view rio concierge carmen pedro
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2022

Lets start with the pros: Had a top suite and the view from my room was truly amazing! I was a VIP guest so I had breakfast at the top floor restaurant which only a low number of guests had access to. They had bacon and prosciutto, even fresh fruit like mango, which I never had seen before in a hotel breakfast. They even had prosecco. No freshly squeezed juice though which was disappointing. Loved how breakfast staff remembered my name. Location was good in Copacabana to beach, restaurants and stores.

Now the cons: Being a VIP guest I also expected some things. The room and the hotel have seen better days. The sink in the bathroom was practically clogged whereas it took a long time for water to go down the drain. The executive lounge was closed due to covid which was a disappointment. But the biggest annoyance during my stay was all the rules listed everywhere. ”Dont do this”, ”dont do that”. Like for example ”Dont wear sunscreen in the pool”. Come on, who goes to the pool without sunscreen? The constant rules gave a very strict and a bit hostile impression in my opinion. One of the staff in the gym asked me to put my mask on when I had it off for 10 seconds but himself was comfortable chatting to another hotel guest in Portuguese who didnt have his mask over his nose. So why only tell foreigners about rules but just because someone is a Brazilian then other rules apply? The security staff was crazy, checking everyones keys when going inside the hotel, even in daytime. I got vibes like I felt I was back in Dubai where hotel staff strictly and closely watch the guests and who they take to their room. Staff even told me while checking in ”visitors are not allowed unless they are registered” as if he implied I was gonna do that. I suspect the hotel might have a problem with prostitution in the area and wants to avoid this but it is not fair to take aim at the single males who might be pickup artists and can attract ladies without paying for ”that”. Instead, if security is so important to the hotel, upgrade the elevator so only guests with cards can go up. It should be a simple upgrade for a hotel like this and should finance itself instead of having the huge security guard crew on the payroll checking everyone very hastily and only in Portuguese and in a rather rude way.
I also annoyed that the cleaning crew touched my things. One day they stole one of my key cards, disabling the AC so that my room was hot when I came back from a long day out. I told the front desk about this but they didnt seem to be bothered by it very much. After that, the cleaning crew touched my key card every day (but didnt steal it) so the AC went out so when I was back at the room from long days out the room was hot. This is definitely a directive coming from hotel management. It is also very amateurish from a hotel if they want to give a professional impression. The whole impression of the hotel didnt live up to the other hotels in the area. Hilton was way better and they didnt have any excessive security preventing people from enjoying themselves.
No, you will almost have a more fun time in North Korea or China than at this hotel. If only for the room I would rate this property higher, but my overall feeling wasnt very good unfortunately thus I cant stand when hotels systematically are preventing hotel guests from inviting guests to the room. Also I had booked a king bed, but ended up with getting two beds pushed together, which happens frequently in hotels.

1  Thank brunkmaster
Erika Souza, Atendimento ao cliente/recepção at Rio Othon Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2022

Hello Mr Brunkmaster,

We appreciate your comment and feedback.

Glad you enjoyed our VIP breakfast on the 30th, in addition to the wonderful view overlooking the sea, our menu is rich in different types of food, for all tastes.

On the past points, once again, we would like to thank you for your opinion. In our hotel, due to the new phase that world health is going through, we have some prevention and care rules to preserve the well-being and safety of our guests and employees.

Still preserving and taking care of our guests, access to the apartments is exclusive to guests. To receive guests, we have our wonderful Skylab restaurant, with the most beautiful view of Copacabana, as well as the service.

Our hotel and our staff are dedicated to making every guest have fun and have the best service. However, as we have almost 600 apartments, we must ensure the health and safety of all our dear guests and our employees.

We hope that you will come back to our hotel soon and enjoy even more of the wonderful city, our services and our wonderful view over the sea.

See you soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2022 via mobile

The Rio Othon Place is in a great location right on Copacabana Beach. The staff was friendly and helpful, although the hotel does seem to be somewhat short staffed, .e.g., it takes them forever to answer the phone when you call from your room. The hotel is old and the rooms are in need of renovation. In addition, items like sheets and pillow cases are threadbare and even moldy. The buffet breakfast is also of pretty low quality, so much so that we ended up going out to eat the last two mornings of our stay.

Date of stay: January 2022

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your comment and your assessment.

We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful view of Copacabana beach from our hotel. Our view is truly breathtaking!

On the past points, we appreciate your criticisms.

All our bed linen has been renewed and is always sanitized and clean, for the comfort and safety of all our guests.

Our breakfast is full of bread, cheese, cold cuts, fruits, juice, cereals, cakes and sweets. All done with all the care, hygiene and affection so that you can enjoy your first meal with selected foods and also, enjoying the view and our services.

We hope to see you soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2021 via mobile

This is one of my worse experience. This is NOT a palace. You have to wait 20 minutes for getting an information. Only 3 people when check out is coming. They don't smile or nearly impolite. On beach you could get free seats if available BUT magically all are reserved ..... If you don't pay cash discreetly. Rooms looks big but dirty and very old style. Need a serious refresh. When asking advice to go outside , they don't want to help you. To make a reservation for diner , they asked you to do yourself on the website. No help at all
I am not recommend this hotel

Room tip: Ask room front side but Noisy
Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Erika Souza, Atendimento ao cliente/recepção at Rio Othon Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2022

Dear Batond,
We appreciate your comment and your rating.

We are very surprised and saddened to know that all our dedication to providing the best in services, comfort, safety and hospitality did not reach you.

Our hotel is one of the most traditional in the country. We do constant maintenance and modernization so that we can be modern, without losing our traditionality.

In our breakfast, we have several options of breads, cheeses, cereals, fruits, cakes, juices, coffee, cold cuts, dairy products among others.

We hope you can give us another opportunity so that we can prove the best we have!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2021 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel after a 7hour drive. As soon as we pulled over we were told by the bellman that the parking lot was unavailable. No apologies, no offer to help with the luggage, no alternatives offered. We waited for 45 minutes until someone was able to check us in. The rooms were ok (double beds were not king size).

Service is consistently poor throughout the hotel, especially in the pool bar, where we found dirty tables and a frowned faced lady. There's a spresso machine with no coffee capsules in the room. It took me over an hour to have a spresso in the room.

The hotel urgently needs to make considerable changes and care for the guest's needs.

Hello Kelly,

Thanks for your feedback.

It saddens us a lot to know that all our dedication and affection did not reach you.

In our hotel, we have parking for our guests, but as we have almost 600 apartments, we have limited parking spaces. We do not have spaces for all guests.

All our employees, from all sectors, undergo periodic training to preserve what we have most important and that is our differential and champion of praise: our excellent service.

We hope you can return to our hotel and give us a chance to show you the best we have!

See you soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 26 November 2021

This have to be the worse experience I’ve ever had in a hotel. First we have to wait more than one hour to do the check in. Once we finally got into the room we noticed that we only had two towels for triple room. We try to contact house keeping out the reception via phone and it was impossible, we decided to go downstairs and requested the missing towel, we waited for a while and nothing we went downstairs again and at the end we had to use the hand towels. This is 5 stars hotel not a 5 stars service at all. Disappointing.

Date of stay: November 2021

Dear Rgaramgom,

We appreciate your feedback about your accommodation.

In our hotel, check-in time starts from 3 pm and check-out time is until 12 pm, with some tolerance. As explained on all booking vouchers.
As at the time of your arrival at the hotel, we were in the check-out period, we prioritize the departures.
Whenever possible, we check-in before the agreed time, as was done with you and your family, but when there is no availability, we provide luggage guards and the entire structure of Rio Othon Palace, until the agreed check-in time. in.

We work hard to ensure that all guests have the best possible stay. From start to finish.
We hope you can return to the hotel and taste the best we have!

Regards,