“OK hotel in the city centre, but service is bad”

Arcos Rio Palace Hotel
Ranked #134 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I stayed in this hotel for two nights, and the hotel was selected by the organisation that I visited. Upon arrival and check-in, I was given the key card to a room on the 5th floor. When I arrived there with my luggage, the door of the room was wide open, a ladder leaned against the wall, the fridge had been pulled out of its normal position -- clearly there was maintenance work underway in the room. I returned to the reception, where the news seemed to cause surprise. After a bit of phoning around, they gave me another room on the 10th floor.

The morning after my first night, I had some time to catch up with homework (the wifi in the hotel works reliably and at decent speed), and so I stayed in the room the whole morning. This appears to have irked someone, possibly the housekeeping staff. When I returned from a somewhat late breakfast, I noticed that the "do not disturb/please make the room" sign had changed from "do not disturb" to "please make the room". But I was not entirely sure if I had not put it the wrong way round when closing the door. Then, on two occasions maybe 90 minutes apart, the phone rang and when I picked it up and said "hello", the person at the other end hung up. Finally, the door opened, and a cleaner came in. When I indicated I was surprised, she pointed to the sign which was in the position "please make the room" again. This time I was sure someone had turned the sign. I don't know whether it was the housekeeping staff or another guest who turned the sign, and I don't know whether the phone calls came from the housekeepers who wanted to check whether someone was in the room. In any case, I would not want to wish the experience on anyone who needs to get work done in their room.

Conclusion: this is not the hotel for business visitors, or perhaps for any visitors.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

The hotel had a rather old-fashioned vibe around it, like something from foregone times. All the "bellboys" are in their 70s, almost felt bad letting them carry my stuff, let those poor men retire! Location is good, right in Lapa, parking is a few blocks further and you have to pay for it. Rooms are alright, average, nothing to complain. Breakfast is rather disappointing as I'm vegan (no animal products) and therefore had nothing to eat besides the fruit... veganism is huge in Rio, so it would be good if they update their supply a bit.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2017

came straight back for a school trip. Some guests commented the rooms were small & dated, and that maintenance could be improved·Some guests mentioned bathroom cleanliness could be improved·Some guests noted the beds could be improved.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2017

The hotel is situated in a walking distance of Sambódromo do Rio de Janeiro. The hotel is clean and descent. We stayed for 4 nights and the last day there was no soap availabe in the bathroom and the room service did not gave us when they cleaned the room, so I borrowed a soap from a friend which was staying in another room. I also had lunch which was descent and with reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2017

Check in process was poor and very disorganise. Given me the wrong room twice and I had run down to the reception twice. Wifi was not consistent. At times it was good and during the day and night was quite poor. Breakfast and location was very good. Nightlife area and close to santa Teresa. Room was spacious and nice

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Rios Presidente Hotel
#200 of 286 in Rio de Janeiro
Hotel Pouso Real
#189 of 286 in Rio de Janeiro

Been to Arcos Rio Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Arcos Rio Palace Hotel

Address: Avenida Mem de Sa 117 | Lapa, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20230-150, Brazil
Region: Brazil > State of Rio de Janeiro > Rio de Janeiro
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool
Ranked #134 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Price Range: €33 - €92 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Arcos Rio Palace Hotel 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Arcos Rio Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Arcos Rio Palace Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil