All reviews hotel located sugarloaf mountain sugar loaf decent hotel the ground floor front desk within walking distance lounge wifi
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

The staff at the hotel was excellent, and the hotel itself is new and clean. The breakfast was good but not great. The hotel is located about a twenty minute walk from Pão de Açúcar, but the immediate neighborhood is not so great. Subway is a couple off blocks away. It was kind of hard to find good places to eat around the hotel. I do like that it's centrally located.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
NovotelBotafogo, Gerente geral at Novotel RJ Praia de Botafogo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Dear James U,

Thank you for sharing your hospitality experience. We are glad to know you appreciated the hotel.
We hope to see you at the hotel in other occasions.

Novotel RJ Botafogo

Reviewed 18 July 2018

All the below concerns room 551 July 2018.

First the terrible: As we did not check the bed in detail the first night, we discovered in the morning that the sheet that should cover the mattress, did in fact not cover the full mattress. The sheet was too small for that bed (basically comparable to a rather EU standard of 180x200 cm mattress), as it left the last 10 cm at the foot end uncovered (see pictures). When we thus told about that at the front desk and asked to get this solved, they changed the sheets, only to find out that the sheets did now cover the full length of the bed, but was not wrapped under the foot end, so in fact still too short. I have never, ever, encountered any hotel so far that cannot and will not take care of this.
We were clearly not the first guests to note this, as previous guests simply started writing on the mattress itself in the trend of 'stuck out'. So I can only conclude that they do not have proper sheets of the correct size, and do not care to buy/have these.

Second the bad: 3 days later, after leaving the hotel in the morning, we returned around 4PM to discover that the room was not cleaned. So we informed the staff and they replied to take care of this at once. In the mean time we stayed in the lounge. When I went back to the room at 5 past 5PM, I could only discover that house keeping had not started yet with our room...

Third the not Novotel: Breakfast is good and decent, but to be honest, many of the Ibis hotels have an even slightly elaborate breakfast buffet than this Novotel. And for sure of all Novotels visited, this one had a clearly smaller selection of bread(s), viennoiserie (no pain au chocolat here in Botafogo), or cold cuts.

The no-eye-for-detail: It probably is a very Brazilian way of doing things but although the decor of the room is very much the Novotel style, the decoration was done without detail. For example the toilet roll holder was markedly unparallel. So was the water tap too. And around many fittings we could still clearly see the pencil lines drawn to mark where to drill. This, together will many small paint stains and marks of glue or a shimmer of cement on the bathroom tiles, gives very much the impression there was no thorough cleaning done, ever, since the rooms were fitted. Because I had some of these stains or glue or cement easily and quickly removed with a Detol wipe. So, am I right to think that house keeping has never swiped the tiles of the bathroom, but only rinsed it at best? Even after some years now?
One of the lamp fixtures in the room was broken too, we did not complain about that as it was not essential, and we had no faith in getting that solved.

The positive: one of the girls at the reception desk spoke good English, was professional and friendly, and she seemed genuine concerned about the bed sheets. But then I guess she has not been working there for long yet (and probably will not stay long?) Otherwise, it was not genuine and simply fake.

However, if this hotel manages to address its house keeping issues, I would go back, considering that the breakfast is Ibis and not Novotel.

The fitness center is large and well equipped (compared to other Accor hotels that have one). Another positive: the hotel is well located, close to Botafogo metro and Botafogo is a safe area. Of course the view from the front rooms, facing the bay, is really nice (Sugarloaf mountain across the bay).

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
NovotelBotafogo, Gerente geral at Novotel RJ Praia de Botafogo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear BurryLeuven,

Thank you very much for sending us your feedback regarding your last stay (cleaning issues, breakfast menu, etc).
I did follow up the case myself, please accept my sincere apologies.
At the Novotel we strive to provide our guests the best service and products with the best quality.
I hope we have another chance to have you staying with us, I will look after your reservation myself.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

Fairly new construction, room was above average. Staff friendly, most speaks English.Breakfast was very nice. Feel safe walking around hotel. Had to borrow Phone charger adopter from front desk which was available and with no fee.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi Goldentrim,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Rio de Janeiro Botafogo.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

I felt very well taken care of. The hotel is well located and quite comfortable. The bar at the front desk is great for a happy hour. Restaurant is also good and the staff are attentive and friendly. Very clean and airy rooms.

Room Tip: best views, well located
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business

Hi Wando R,

We deeply appreciate your comment related to your experience as a guest of Novotel Rio de Janeiro Botafogo.
Once again, thank you for letting us know about your experience.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

Was here for a brief overnight stay, and aside from some miscommunication on their picking up late at night from Rio airport, all went swimmingly. Lovely room (interesting view of the back of neighbouring flats) - nice and quiet, with a decent bed. Service excellent and I was impressed with their bar.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Hi Stenvoid,

Such information will be shared with our teams, and I am sure that your feedback will be an encouragement for us to keep improving the quality of our services.
Once again, thank you for letting us know about your experience.