See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 December 2016

I picked this hotel based on a certain websites rating which was rated at 8.6 and excellent. I must say my opinion was very different.

The hotel itself is indeed in the centre of the old town and the location is good, what they don’t tell you is that the parking areas is about 500m away and the street you walk down to find the hotel, which I have to add a had to ask directions for 3 times as the signs from the parking to the hotel are no existent is crawling with small crabs, some may thing this is cute – I didn’t and I can only imagine what it would have been like at night – I didn’t stay long enough to find out.

The guy at the front desk was pleasant enough and gave me my key and I was shown to my room, the hotel rooms surround some beautiful gardens which boast some great colour and I can see the appeal to some people. On the approach to my room I noticed the door was open, as were all the unoccupied rooms which surprised me but not as much as when I entered and found that the open door had allowed for all the flies and mosquitoes from the garden to make themselves at home. When I asked the guy that had taken me to my room about it he assured me they would all leave or die when I put the air conditioning on. I thought by the time they had left they would most likely have drained about 2 liters of blood from me and left me with a great case of dengue. Then I noticed there was no TV.

I went back to the front desk and was told that none of the rooms had TV’s and that there was a communal lounge for this, for the price of this hotel a communal lounge was not good enough for me. I then went back to my room and shut the door to put on the AC to hopefully kill all the insects that had moved in, only then did I realize this was a thankless task as there was a gap below my rooms door of 1cm to 3cm which meant that insects and possibly crabs from the street to enter unhindered. This is when I decided it was time to leave.

I have never left a hotel before I unpacked but it did with this one, one leaving the guy at the front desk said that this was not the first time guest had checked out early. Thankfully I found another place, cheaper and better about 400 meters away which allowed me to enjoy my stay in Paraty.

Date of stay: January 2016
1  Thank Lars H
Reviewed 17 May 2016

The decor makes you turn back time, just like the city. The service was nice, the receptionist very sympathetic. The room was always clean. It has elegant colonial decor and is located in front of a beautiful tropical garden. The breakfast was OK. The location is excellent, in the city center.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

I absolutely fell in love with this hotel. The rooms are adorable, clean, and the grounds in the courtyard are nicely decorated and landscaped.

The breakfast is very basic but as a complimentary breakfast, it does the trick and the staff offer eggs to those who ask. They were very attentive to our needs.

Although the rooms do not have TVs, the common space offers these amenities. I could really envision renting out the entire hotel for a large event like a wedding.

The only things that I noticed was the wifi strength was slow, and the water temperature could have been warmer. When in paraty, you really should not be there to use wifi. We also did not report the hot water and it didn't bother me since I had a very bad sunburn.

I work in hotels and I believe that maintenance issues happen, and it is how the hotel responds that makes the difference. I cannot stand when guests complain after and don't report it, so that is why I maintain a 5-star rating!

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2016

I stayed there in february 2016 for 2 nights. The pool needed cleaning and when it was raining, I had a lot of water in the room. Obviously the draining system was not working properly. And at the "costa verde" it is raining a lot.
Internet and phone were not working at all - for the whole stay, so I had to go to other places in town to get connected.
I booked via internet and was only offered the most expensive room. The others were already "sold out". When I arrived, about only 5 rooms were occupied in the hotel...strange.
The only thing I can recommend there is the location itself in the historic district close to the harbour!

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2016

We have stayed here on several occasions and this simple pousada with its walled tropical garden. It provides all that you need and has comfortable rooms. Well located for Paraty and the coast it is a haven of peace right in the centre of the town.

Date of stay: March 2016