See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 February 2016 via mobile

We had an amazing stay at this lovely pousada. The family that runs the place is super lovely, relaxed, and they really know what they are doing.

The pousada is about a twenty five minute walk into the old town, but it was a pleasant walk along the water, even after dark. When we did catch a taxi, it was easy, and the fares are set for any trip within town, so there are no issues with negotiating.

We had the master room, which was very clean, comfortable and spacious, with a large bathroom, a small courtyard with a hammock and solid air conditioning. The breakfast area and external courtyard were also very nice, and we enjoyed relaxing in these spaces.

The breakfast... well, it's probably the best breakfast we have experienced in any hotel, hostel or BnB... and I realise that is a massive claim. Fresh fruit and juices, homemade pastries and cakes, fresh bread, cheeses, cold meats and eggs made to order... all prepared daily and presented amazingly. I think it's just something you have to decide yourself, but we were in heaven.

We can't recommend this place and the lovely hosts high enough... we would be honoured to return to this paradise in Paraty. Thanks for a great stay, and first class hospitality.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jase-and-Stef
Reviewed 3 January 2016

We stayed for a night. This is a very small boutique hotel, it feels like you are at your own house. The owners are great people and rooms are AMAZING. I wish we could stay more! Decor is very nice and people are so friendly, you don't want to leave. Just make sure to rent a car since it is not the closest location to downtown (just 5 minutes)

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2015

A very beautiful place with great, large and clean rooms, showers are good too incl hot water. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful - they helped us organize trips and even drove us to town several times. Breakfast is great and with quite a bit of variety. Wifi is solid. The location is a bit off, it's about a 25-30mins walk to town and there's really very few taxis, but that's the only minor negative point - overall great value for money.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2015

I had a wonderful experience staying in Pousada Portal das Artes at the end of November. Speaking very little Portuguese, and traveling independently, it was so helpful to have both Rui and Catarina (the owners/operators) assistance navigating the town and surrounding areas. They were both so kind and accommodating (Catarina literally drove me to town and gave me a walking tour, recommending local restaurants and showing me where the taxi stand was). Rui helped me navigate my plan to visit a somewhat "off the beaten track" beach recommended by a friend, and also to arrange my transfer from Paraty on very short notice. The Pousada provided a lovely breakfast in the garden each morning. The rooms were beautiful-very clean with a rustic feel (though the appointments were quite modern). It is conveniently located less than 5 minutes drive from the historic center of town (though car/taxi recommended for getting to and from the Pousada), when at the Pousada, Catarina called taxis that came in relatively short period of time for pickup. I highly recommend Pousada Portal das Artes when staying in the picturesque Paraty area! If I have the good fortune to make it back to Paraty, I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2015

We have a pleasant stay at this friendly place in Paraty. Room, breakfast, WiFi and ambiance are perfect.
The owners are helpfull and gave us nice tips about where to go and eat.
During our trip to Paraty, which was in the evening, he checked us out every once and a while if we were ok since the road is dark and curvy.

Lovely place!