See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 March 2015

My intention was to rest, relax, read and restore after a roller coaster year and it fulfilled all of this and more. The location is stunning. You approach my boat to the most beautiful yoga studio that appears as if it is perched in a tree, overlooking the ocean.
Accommodation is simple, clean and comfortable with the sound and views of the ocean. All meals are consciously prepared and delicious. My hair, skin and eyes sparkled like never before from all the goodness the island experience offers. You can make it as active or as relaxing as you want and whichever you decide, the locations are breathtaking with nature at her finest. A great team awaits you and an invitation to experience health, happiness, beauty and bounty.

1  Thank bl0ss0m333
Reviewed 2 March 2015

I spent two amazing weeks at The Island Experience this past November. I went with my friend who was returning for her sixth visit. The first week included guests from all over the world who were fun, interesting and adventurous. The second week's group was replaced with several "Debbie Downer's" that really put a damper on my experience. I feel the staff handled the group beautifully considering that several were outright rude to the staff members (this includes the two sisters that left horrible reviews below). I have worked in customer service for 20+ years and there are some people you can never please...Jesus could walk into the room and they still wouldn't be pleased...the two sisters below could not be pleased regardless of what anyone did for them. I can attest to this personally...One of the sisters became ill, I went to check on her and offer a bit of advice since I work in healthcare...I never received as much as a thank you from her after she felt better. That being said...I had an awesome second week experience thanks to the staff and staying clear from the "Debbie Downers".
Adriana and the Staff really think of everything when planning out the days for everyone. They thoroughly explain the plan and options for the day during breakfast. The hiking scenery and beaches are spectacular. We had a very wide range of athletic ability (especially the first week) and the guides handled it like pros...I was always in the back of the pack and they never made me feel rushed to catch up with the rest of the group. I also did a few hikes on my own from the Lodge, these are easy to navigate hikes if you want to spend some time by yourself, and extremely easy to find your way there and back without a guide.
The food is first rate and delicious (I want all of the recipes!!). It's a great way to detox off of caffeine and sugar. The staff really cater's to any food requests, allergies, etc...
I think if you are looking for a 5 star hotel/spa...this is not the place for you. The Island Experience is on a Island with no cars, all transportation is by boat, all accommodations on the island are rustic, sometimes you won't have hot water, sometimes there will be critters such as bats... However, if you are looking for pristine and untouched nature, somewhere to disconnect from email/social media/etc...this is the place for you!! The rooms are basic but have everything you will need. the best part is the hammock on the balcony...I read an entire book laying in the hammock!
Thank you Adriana, Paola, Sarah, Sioda and Daniel for the amazing experience!!! I hope to see you soon!!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed 27 February 2015

I cannot wait to go back to this beautiful island retreat. The whole "Island Experience" helped me to reevaluate and rediscover what is really important in my life. The location is so stunningly beautiful it takes your breath away! There is a programme of activities, that includes yoga, trekking, sea kayaking.... you choose what you want to do depending on what you want to get out of the whole experience. I personally chose not to go on all the hikes, I loved the tranquility of being just being there, relaxing, there are some stunning places to walk to and discover if you don't want to go on the organised treks, places those that do probably never get to see. I learned a lot about myself on my visit and in reflection I am a far healthier, happier (and lighter) person for my "Island Experience". Thank you Dree, Sarah, Sioda, Parlo and all my cohort you were all wonderful.

Reviewed 28 December 2014

I went on this trip with my sister (she has also reviewed the "experience") as she had been a few years ago and loved it. It is an expensive trip, so I had high expectations. Unfortunately, we were both disappointed. Although the property is beautiful, the management was chaotic and unpredictable. From being told that we "might" not have hot water (we didn't, and guests should not have to check for themselves; this was a very unpleasant discovery at ten at night after 24 hours of travel), to the lack of screens or mosquito nets (which are pictured in the advertising), to the disorganized drop offs and pick ups, to the uneven food, to the dirty conditions in the yoga room...this just was not what was advertised. A particular low for me was the large amount of bat manure in the yoga room. It's really not healthy to be nose-down in bat droppings and even after we pointed it out to management, it was not cleaned up. I was able to do all of the hikes and kayaking, but felt sorry for those who could not physically manage it. The alternatives that were offered were not very appealing, for instance, on one day the non-hikers were offered a ride into town, but then had to stay there for seven hours to accommodate the return trip. Staying on the property rather than taking the offered hikes, etc. seemed very boring to me--there is not much to do, no where walkable to go. Some of the hikes and one of the kayaking experiences seemed arranged more for convenience or to avoid expense than for fitness. One of our hikes was six miles in, six out on the same uninteresting road, most likely because the program did not want to pay for a boat to pick us up at the end point and thus had us leg it back. Guides did not stay with us (which was fine with me, but not what the program promises). At another point, we spent almost two hours waiting on a beach (no bathrooms, no water) for someone to pick us up. We had cut a hike short to meet the boat, so this was a dull end to what could have been a great day.

All this said, the island is beautiful, but I would not waste my money paying for this "experience."

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KTraverse
Reviewed 24 December 2014

I first went to "The Island Experience" in 2008. I am a returnee to the experience. The lodge has moved and the experience has changed, but I still went home feeling rejuvenated, relaxed and refreshed. I would not have changed a thing about the new location. Different than the first experience, but all the better! The staff is so welcoming and friendly. The week adjusts to the mood of the week. They adjust their plans, expeditions, routes, etc. to the group at hand. I plan to return for my fiance to meet the island. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of life & reconnect to yourself, this is for you! And losing weight/toning up is such a bonus! The Yoga sessions took away my constant shoulder pain! The food is vegan/fish but very accommodating. They will do whatever it takes to make you happy! Can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Rooms are assigned. The walls are thin. If you sleep lightly, bring some earplugs.