Maybe I expected too much from Glenzhaus after the rave reviews. First, we had a terrible room with a view of a crumbling wall. When I showed my displeasure with the room, I was told that that was the room that I had booked on the internet. In other words, I was a bit second class because I used the internet for booking. I was moved to another room, but there were only four rooms in the lodge booked, and I guess the tone of our "internet booking" set the tone for the rest of the stay.
The lodge is a long way from the city center and the beaches, and, despite the reviews that the staff gladly would transport to town and beaches, this was not an option. In fact, I say no cars, except for those owned or rented by guests.
On the positive side, the breakfast was wonderful, the beds are the best that we had in Brasil, and the atmosphere around the pool is breathtaking. Also, the bartender is excellent and very helpful.
All in all, it was a pleasant experience, but, for the price and in off-season, I expected more. Glenzhaus has been sold, and the experience might have been better if the owners had still been there. Maybe the new owners will improve things, but I do not understand how this is one of the best lodges in South America. I have stayed at other pousadas in Buzios at half the price that had better service and a far better location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Born as a small fishing village, today Buzios is a paradise for those who love gastronomy, art and ecology while at the same time boasting an amazing night life. PortoBay Buzios* is a boutique hotel in the city centre of the of Buzios. 21 Suites in a sumptuous tropical setting are a certain recipe for peace and quiet, all with silent air conditioning, free internet access and minibar. Breakfast can be served near the pool leading you to one more unforgettable moment... This boutique lodge is near the beaches that surround the peninsula and a few steps from the famous Rua das Pedras. Here you will find a huge variety of traditional stores, different art galleries, traditional handcraft and some amazing restaurants where you can appreciate the simple pleasures of food A corner of paradise...* Previously named as Porto Bay Glenzhaus ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your PortoBay Buzios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Bay Glenzhaus Hotel Buzios
- Porto Bay Glenzhaus Buzios
- PortoBay Buzios Armacao Dos Buzios, Brazil