“Not worth the money”

Quality Inn Ashland
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed October 8-10. When I arrived, I was told that I had cancelled my reservation which I think I would have remembered doing! This was a festival weekend in this small town and I knew that rooms were scarce to none. The girl at the desk finally told me that she had a room with a king available but not two queens I had reserved. She finally decided she had a room with two queens. What she didn't tell me that this room was located next to the pump to the hotel's indoor pool and the pump turned on and off 2-3 times per minute. It was incredibly noisy. I called the front desk but nothing could be done. And I was running a half marathon the next morning! The next morning, the front desk said that they had had a no show and we could move to a room with two queens overlooking Lake Superior. The room had a peculiar smell though it was a "no smoking" room and the smell was AWFUL when the heat was turned on. The girl at the front desk blamed the odor on the lake. We paid $189 per night because it was a festival weekend and the hotel could get away with it. I would not recommend this place at all. There were several "Mom and Pop" style motels in town which were much less expensive and more comfortable. If you happen to be travelling to this town on a festival weekend, book early.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scooter0822

Reviewed 24 September 2010

Room was awful: Spiders and spider webs in the bathroom. The bathroom had not been cleaned upon arrival. The toilet was gross. I had to clean it in order to use it. The bed was hard as a rock. The ONLY positive was the shower pressure. The restaurant next door was excellent. But the hotel is the worst I've ever stayed at and I paid $139.00 p/nt. NEVER again will I stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WisconsinUkbound
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We spent a couple of nights here when we took our son to college in Ashland. Our first floor lakeview room was spacious, clean, and relatively quiet. While there, the hotel seemed full and parking near our room was sometimes unavailable, but the chance to be right at water's edge in a comfortable room was worth it. We really did notice that we were on the shore of Lake Superior and checked the view often. One evening we watched the darkening sky develop into a violent thunderstorm, then brighten again with the most stunning double rainbow I've seen in years. The somewhat pricey but nice restaurant across the parking lot was an excellent place to spend our anniversary lunch and we took the advice of a previous poster to have the good fish sandwich. A bit of a splurge for us, but it felt like a celebration. We'll need to return to Ashland as our son continues at Northland College, and my guess is that we'll return to a room here. My only suggestion is that more than one bar of soap be provided between sink and tub, so we didn't have to keep taking it with us. Good place to stay and new management seems to be interested in improvements.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Right on Lake Superior, so there was a fabulous view. Casual restaurant actually had the best fried fish sandwich I've ever had. Restaurant overlooked the lake and we saw a bald eagle fly by right in front of the window! That made it all worthwhile. Dog friendly with a really nice little park just 1/2 mile down the road, so I could take Tes' for a walk and stick my feet in Lake Superior. And the room was really nice--sort of a "Lodge" feel.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2010

It was a nice hotel expecially the way it was set up for the pool side rooms. If you didn't or aren't going to have pool side rooms I don't think the hotel would be that great, just the pool side rooms. Matinence was bad. Our door handle broke and we were locked out of our room for 20+ min. Then WE had to bring all our stuff back downstairs to another room just like we had to when we first got there. All the people were nice at the front desk except one. He was the late one and kind of craby about our parents on the hockey team being up to late in the pool area. The pool also closed pretty early, 10:00.

• Stayed: February 2010
2  Thank ricelakewisconsin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
7.4 km away
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#2 of 16 in Bayfield
26.2 km away
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Quality Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!