“Tasted good for a fair price”
Review of Dong Po

Dong Po
Ranked #109 of 378 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 3 January 2017

The delivery time was fast, they were polite, fair prices. They did accidentally give me egg rolls instead of spring rolls.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

When one of my nephews was about 2 years old, and I'd suggest playing with a toy he didn't want to, his reply was always, "Um, maybe no", which really meant 'No'.

There are many Asian and Chinese restaurants in Appleton, so customers have many options to choose from. We ordered take out recently.

The order was ready within the time frame promised, and staff was friendly and welcoming. The Incredible Roll is a nori and rice roll with tempura shrimp, avocado in the middle, and topped with a mildly spicy, creamy mock crab topping. I've had that before, in restaurant, and it was, as before, tasty and well made. Not 'authentic' sushi, but it was very delicious.

The portions were good sized portions compared to what we have gotten from other Asian/Chinese restaurants in town. We ordered the green beans - the taste was very good, but, the beans appeared to have been over cooked. I would have preferred the beans to have been blanched first, to set in the green color, and then stir fried with the oil and garlic. The portion was generous and we will finish it.

The General's chicken was a disappointment. We've had that dish from other local Asian/Chinese restaurants. Dong Po's version had a thick, hard coating/batter, and the coating and chicken mean inside were rather tasteless - underseasoned. The sauce was also underseasoned; it was stated in the menu as 'spicy', but the sauce actually was not spicy at all.

My guess is that restaurants, in general, batter and deep fry the chicken ahead of time, and keep that ready for orders, and when an order comes in, they take the pre-cooked chicken and add it to the sauce. I'd recommend seasoning the raw chicken prior to coating it in a batter, and, I'd recommend seasoning the batter with salt, pepper, and perhaps some paprika or other seasonings, prior to the deep frying.

We also ordered the Pad Thai. I had had Dong Po's pad thai at a business meeting, and it was very good. But our order was not as good. The noodles were cooked perfectly - not soggy and not mushy - but again, the dish was underseasoned, and bland.

I've eaten in the restaurant before, and the food in the past was generally good. Nothing fancy, nothing spectacular; it was always decent Americanized Asian style food. This take out order, with the exception of the Incredible Roll, was a disappointment. There are two other Asian/Chinese restaurants, in Appleton, that we've eaten at, as well as ordered take out from, and we'll be sticking with them in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2016

Had heard this was a really great place to eat so went to give it a try. The service was good but the food wasn't worth the hype. Just average asian food. The portions were smaller than most of the local places.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Went here for a little girls' birthday party. She just turned ten years old, and this is the place she chose to have her birthday dinner. What does that say about quality of food? That' it's the best damn Chinese you're going to find in a 50 mile radius, that's what!
I of course always test Asian food by how well they serve the eggplant, and Dong Po made sure to set the bar high. I will definitely need to spend some time in the kitchen learning how to reverse engineer the Eggplant Stuffed with Shrimp. Absolutely delectable!

The only disappointment was the kiddie cocktail which was easily corrected. They added orange juice to it. We were not fans of that, but the server quickly replaced the foul drink with the correct replacement.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

They definitely put in the effort to make the atmosphere that of fine dining. Even the plate of food have the accent of a hibiscus flower! Starting out with wonton soup which was decent but only had one dumpling in it. My husband ordered the orange beef and while the sauce was good, the fried beef was tough and stringy. The others at our table ordered different chicken dishes that were much better! I especially loved the orange chicken. A nice Chinese restaurant though in the end!

Been to Dong Po? Share your experiences!