See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 September 2015

I came across this restaurant prior to my trip but did not seriously consider it until some of our friends recommended it to us. They ate here three nights in a row and raved about it. The restaurant was fully booked some nights, however, when we went--we were the only ones there. The restaurant is decorated with some modern fixtures but overall, it is pretty laid back.

The drinks were nice and strong. I was surprised to read all the glowing reviews of the good service here because I found the hostess/server to be quite dry. I tried asking her a few questions about the food and restaurant and she reacted as if we were bothering her when in reality we were the only people there.

The food is quite pricey (think nice night out in North America); however, it was very good. They have a mix of different kinds of food, not strictly Bahian so one has choices. We started out with the ceviche and it was great--fresh, tangy and savoury. The mains are quite heavy hitters so you'll want to have enough room for them. I had the beef filet in garlic olive oil, fried egg with truffles and potato chips. It was extremely good. The quality of the meat was there, the potato chips were excellent and it just hit the spot. We ended with the Doce de Leite petit gateau and it was absolutely divine.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2015

We decided on El Gordo after reviewing a few other properties in the area. El Gordo by far has the best price and view. The property is amazing and very well maintained. The ladies Sheilla, Adriana and Yolanda are just so warm and kind. We stayed in room #3 that accomodated 2 adults and 2 kids and it was so tranquil and clean and the decor is white and very thoughfully done. There are other places but by far El Gordo beats them all with the best pool with the amazing view and the restaurant is great as well. We ate there one night and service was great. It felt like we were staying at home but with the best weather, service and view. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: only few rooms have ocean view. We went during the low season and I can see that during the high season when the quadrado that the hotel faces is busy, it will make the rooms closer to the entrance a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2014

After visiting several of the top end restaurants in Trancoso, I wouild have to say this was my favorite spot. Not cheap by Brazilian or American standards, but worth every penny! If you visit my recommendation is try the Bacalhao al Forno, an amazing dish for all the senses even for those new to the dish!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 23 November 2014

They have one of the best swimming pools EVER! The rooms are big and cozy, amazing design, and the location, this in the hart of trancoso, at the quadrado, My honeymoon couldn't be better, if you can go for it, just do it!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

EL gordo is a a very charming pousada. Located ine the best area from TRancoso. The rooms are not all the same, so pay attention to be sure you got what you want. The best ones are those with beach view. The bangalos are nice ad well but you need to exercise a litte bit due few steps.
Piscina, food and services are superb!

• Stayed: October 2013