“Good management.”
Review of Village Novo

Village Novo
Ranked #70 of 110 Hotels in Salvador
Reviewed 5 February 2009

I had booked to stay at Village Novo during my honeymoon. Unfortunately, we didnt get to stay here due to renovations not being finished in time. Brian was fantastic and gave us the option of staying (even though they were under renovations) or refunding my money and finding alternate accomodation.
We had no problems at all in getting our money back and loved the alternate accomodation suggested by Brian.
We look forward to returning to Village Novo in the near future when the renovations are finished (fantastic location - right in front of Barra Beach!) and were delighted to have met management with a great sense of Integrity and morals.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank misssyd

Reviewed 14 February 2008

I went to Salvador for Carnaval, and I can't imagine having stayed anywhere else but Village Novo. The living quarters were clean and homey; the staff was courteous and attentive; and the location is fantastic.
Location: The hotel is approximately 15 paces from a fun beach that is frequented by Salvadorans, Brazilian tourists, and international tourists. It's also close to Campo Grande and the Pelourinho, so one has access to many of Salvador's charms. If one is looking to isolate oneself from the everyday life of Salvador and achieve near-total remove from the everyday world, then this hotel probably won't do (though there is ample space for privacy and seclusion). But, if one wants to get a genuine feel for the city's rhythms and people, then Village Novo's location is nearly perfect.
The Staff: The hotel staff is courteous and engaging without being obsequious. They will help arrange anything, from a tour, ferry, or a taxi, and they ensure that all guests are as comfortable as possible. Brian, the proprietor, is very attentive to the guests' needs, and he is very careful to ensure that their experience in the hotel is pleasant. Also, one can't help but notice that Brian likes working with his employees, and they with him. They treat each other well and have fun, and their mood is infectious.
The room: We stayed in a 2-bedroom living unit with clean, modern bathrooms and reliable hot water (though a hot shower was rarely needed, given the near-perfect weather). The beds were very comfortable, and fresh towels were provided every day.
The morning breakfast was also great--Village Novo had the best coffee that I tasted in Brasil.
This place is ideal for anyone who wants to be close to the beach; in close proximity to all that Salvador offers, from the Pelourinho to the Mercado Modelo; and who wants to relax and interact with locals.

Stayed: February 2008
5  Thank sbmO
Reviewed 14 February 2008

This hotel is perfectly situated across from a wonderful sheltered beach and flanked by an old fort and lighthouse. We stayed in a room with a balcony overlooking the beach. The building has been restored with great care and simply oozes character. The room we stayed in was class. The breakfast is spot on and they have an internet cafe on the ground floor which is an excellent bonus. The cafe food is tasty and well priced.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kipcat
Reviewed 5 February 2008

The hotel is located on a city beach (Barra), not very nice ´cause it was crowded and a little dirty. The room we stayed in (#21) was good, big, clean, nice air conditioning (split system), lovely decored. Breakfast (one of Brazil´s high points) were good, the eating room not very private, though, ´cause it is also a internet cafe, so there´s always people circulating while you eat. In Avenida 7 de setembro you can take all kinds of urban transportation. The low point is the caotic administration, I had a little fight with the manager about double charges for maps and safety box, not very pleasant way to start the trip again. I did not ask for my recepit when I first paid, an idiotic error, but the way I was asked about it was very rude. So if you are staying there, ASK FOR RECEIPTS every time you pay for anything.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank el2tor
Reviewed 24 December 2007

I wish there was a rating above excellent because that's what Village Novo deserves! This is a great place for people who want to experience true Brazilian experience.
Let's start with the price. The rates are extremely reasonable I couldn't believe how close we were to the beach. The beach is directly across the street from the property. You only have to walk fifty feet to begin your day at the beach.
This is an inner city beach in the area known as Porto Da Barra. There are always people walking by the hotel. So it's great for people watching.
Now on to the accomodations this was my second visit. The first time I stayed in a beach front room. Each morning I could sit on my balcony terrace and watch the ocean and the people on the street going by. I loved my room decor; it wasn't bland and each piece was done by local artists. The room colors are very warm, rich reds and golden yellows. I'm very particular about bathrooms and mine was always, always clean. And yes I had hot water everyday! The tile in my shower was awesome. I checked for mold (I told you I had bathroom issues) and never found any.
On my second visit we stayed in an apartment suite setup with three separate rooms, a shared living room and a full kitchen. Oh I almost forgot, there was also a computer with full internet access. I felt as if we had rented a beach front villa and you wouldn't believe the price. The living room was HUGE and could easily accomodate a great party after a day at the beach. Each room has a television but who had time to watch. Once again each room had interesting colors and/or artwork. The shelves, closets and storage units were ample, even for a clothes horse. Also each room has a mini bar fridge. Be sure to try Guarana the Brazilian soda. They keep the fridge stocked with it.
Brian is very conscientious about security. Each room door has two locks, each outside door has two locks and for the apartment you must be buzzed in and out and there is a security camera.
Speaking of Brian...he's the guy in charge and with all the work he does he still makes time to chat with us in the outdoor internet cafe that is part of his property. Daily we sit out front in this open air cafe watching the people pass by and staring at the beach. This is also were we have the daily complimentary breakfast and I don't mean some little continental breakfast like you get at the Holiday in back in the states. Every morning breakfast consisted of a smorgasbord of tropical fruits, homemade carrot bread and banana bread. They have a fulltime baker on staff. There was even eggs, potatoes and rolls for the Americans.During breakfast many guests chat with each other about their travels from the day before.The cafe is open until 11pm and serves lunch and dinner as well as breakfast. Try the mango juice its awesome and addictive. I've been home a month and I still miss it.
Back to the staff, everyone is wonderful. The staff is always fast and friendly, even when we have unusual requests. They always made me feel at ease. Most of the staff speaks only Portuguese, but they all know a little English. Brian and Christane (the asst. manager) both speak English.
In conclusion, I would stay here again. I have recommended it to 3 other friends and they all had glowing reports too.
The atmosphere is great, the room is great, the staff is great.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends