“Try other options”
Review of Village Novo

Village Novo
Ranked #70 of 110 Hotels in Salvador
Reviewed 5 February 2008

The hotel is located on a city beach (Barra), not very nice ´cause it was crowded and a little dirty. The room we stayed in (#21) was good, big, clean, nice air conditioning (split system), lovely decored. Breakfast (one of Brazil´s high points) were good, the eating room not very private, though, ´cause it is also a internet cafe, so there´s always people circulating while you eat. In Avenida 7 de setembro you can take all kinds of urban transportation. The low point is the caotic administration, I had a little fight with the manager about double charges for maps and safety box, not very pleasant way to start the trip again. I did not ask for my recepit when I first paid, an idiotic error, but the way I was asked about it was very rude. So if you are staying there, ASK FOR RECEIPTS every time you pay for anything.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank el2tor

Reviewed 24 December 2007

I wish there was a rating above excellent because that's what Village Novo deserves! This is a great place for people who want to experience true Brazilian experience.
Let's start with the price. The rates are extremely reasonable I couldn't believe how close we were to the beach. The beach is directly across the street from the property. You only have to walk fifty feet to begin your day at the beach.
This is an inner city beach in the area known as Porto Da Barra. There are always people walking by the hotel. So it's great for people watching.
Now on to the accomodations this was my second visit. The first time I stayed in a beach front room. Each morning I could sit on my balcony terrace and watch the ocean and the people on the street going by. I loved my room decor; it wasn't bland and each piece was done by local artists. The room colors are very warm, rich reds and golden yellows. I'm very particular about bathrooms and mine was always, always clean. And yes I had hot water everyday! The tile in my shower was awesome. I checked for mold (I told you I had bathroom issues) and never found any.
On my second visit we stayed in an apartment suite setup with three separate rooms, a shared living room and a full kitchen. Oh I almost forgot, there was also a computer with full internet access. I felt as if we had rented a beach front villa and you wouldn't believe the price. The living room was HUGE and could easily accomodate a great party after a day at the beach. Each room has a television but who had time to watch. Once again each room had interesting colors and/or artwork. The shelves, closets and storage units were ample, even for a clothes horse. Also each room has a mini bar fridge. Be sure to try Guarana the Brazilian soda. They keep the fridge stocked with it.
Brian is very conscientious about security. Each room door has two locks, each outside door has two locks and for the apartment you must be buzzed in and out and there is a security camera.
Speaking of Brian...he's the guy in charge and with all the work he does he still makes time to chat with us in the outdoor internet cafe that is part of his property. Daily we sit out front in this open air cafe watching the people pass by and staring at the beach. This is also were we have the daily complimentary breakfast and I don't mean some little continental breakfast like you get at the Holiday in back in the states. Every morning breakfast consisted of a smorgasbord of tropical fruits, homemade carrot bread and banana bread. They have a fulltime baker on staff. There was even eggs, potatoes and rolls for the Americans.During breakfast many guests chat with each other about their travels from the day before.The cafe is open until 11pm and serves lunch and dinner as well as breakfast. Try the mango juice its awesome and addictive. I've been home a month and I still miss it.
Back to the staff, everyone is wonderful. The staff is always fast and friendly, even when we have unusual requests. They always made me feel at ease. Most of the staff speaks only Portuguese, but they all know a little English. Brian and Christane (the asst. manager) both speak English.
In conclusion, I would stay here again. I have recommended it to 3 other friends and they all had glowing reports too.
The atmosphere is great, the room is great, the staff is great.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
20  Thank globalstepper
Reviewed 20 December 2007

Just completed a six day stay. Owned by Brian, a former Peace Corp volunteer, this hotel is a good value. Brian is in the process of transforming the rooms from a 19th century colonial home to a hotel while attempting to retain its original character. The staff was very helpful, the breakfast was very good, and it was easy to book and pay via PayPal. This has not always been my experience with Brazilian hotels. Internet access a breeze.

Nice rooftop patio for sunsets. Being across the street from both the beach and the bus stop was very handy. Neighborhood feel. Restaurants within walking distance. Pelhourinho a short bus/taxi ride away.

The downside - the rooms on the street are noisy but are larger and airier than the interior rooms. Bring earplugs. No elevator so you'll need to be able to manage stairs.

Overall, a good experience. I'll stay here again when visiting Salvador.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
21  Thank MikefromSeattle
Reviewed 13 November 2007

After reading the fantastic reviews, my husband and I were keen to stay at Village Novo, but we were sadly disappointed with our experience.

Perhaps we should have recognized it as a red flag when Village Novo asked us to pay for our five-night stay in full when we booked! It’s one thing to ask for a deposit; it’s quite another thing for them to ask for 100% payment before we’ve even arrived! We didn’t experience this anywhere else in Brazil.

The building is tired and worn and although they’ve tried to refurbish it and make it charming, I don’t think they’ve succeeded. The halls smelled of smoke, the lighting in our room and bathroom consisted of dangling light bulbs, the hot water (which they claim is modern) was more challenging than any of the other hot water systems we experienced in our three weeks in Brazil (had to leave the water running for more than five minutes every morning in order to get warm water). We had a “beachfront room” but our windows were completely blocked by trees (Room 207) so there wasn’t much to see and our room was very dark.

We also found the service lacking. The staff weren’t friendly and they didn’t speak English even though we’d been led to believe there would be English-speaking staff on site; they didn’t allow you to take towels to the beach; we never did encounter the “friendly owner” that we read so much about here; and we went to a restaurant they’d recommended in their binder and it was terrible. And speaking of their binder, it also recommended a particular show and encouraged us to contact the front desk for detailed information. When we went to the front desk for information, they looked at us blankly and had no details on the time, location or price of the show (that said, they did eventually make a telephone call to get the details for us).

Of the seven hotels we stayed in during our visit to Brazil, the breakfast provided at Village Novo was the least appealing. The selection was limited and the fruit was usually overripe and browning.

My positive comments: the location was convenient; the room was relatively clean; the lunches were good; it’s very affordable; and they had an Internet café in the building. If you’re looking for a hostel, this is probably a good bet, but I wouldn’t otherwise recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AllisonVancouver
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I stayed at Village Novo for 6 nights at the end of July. If you prefer big hotels with pools, restaurants, gym etc, this is not your place to stay. But if you like these little traditional Brazilian hotels this is your choice for Salvador. Clean, right infront of the best beach at the area (barra) with very friendly and helpfull personnel. The building is old but well maintained and the rooms are cleaned daily. Hot water is provided constantly and there is an Internet cafe at the ground floor. The only problem I can mention was the noise from the street, which was annoying during the night and especially in the morning. But is a small annoyance compared to the only 20m we had to walk in order to enjoy the beach. Finnaly, I recommend room 201 which has direct view to the wonderfull beach of barra.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
37  Thank Christos M
VillageNovo, Management at Village Novo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2007

Thank you!