“Very good except for the spring rolls”
Review of Peter Chang

Peter Chang
Ranked #32 of 896 Restaurants in Arlington
Reviewed 10 April 2016

We've eaten here only once so far. Our first experience made us understand why Peter Chang has had such a loyal following as he pops up in different places. The wonton and hot and sour soups were very good and our entrees were considerably more nuanced and flavorful than we're used to in Chinese restaurants and will definitely have us coming back. So why were the spring rolls mushy and uninspiring? We'll skip them in the future. Service and atmosphere were fine although not exceptional. Overall, a good experience and a good value with everything else being a cut above and the spring rolls a cut below.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

We've been looking forward to a meal at Peter Chang's restaurant for a while, and finally got our chance for lunch on a Saturday. It was crowded, but no wait. The service was friendly and fast, but not warm and welcoming.

We ordered wonton soup and hot and sour soup to start. The hot and sour soup was good - with just enough spice to tickle my nose. The wonton soup had good wontons in a blah broth. Then we had Dan Dan Mian (noodles) and an order of Three Gorges Chicken. The Dan Dan did not have the complex flavors that make the dish special. It was just spicy with noodles that looked suspiciously store-bought, but I can't be sure about that. We've had better elsewhere. The Three Gorges chicken was inundated with too many hot peppers that did not translate into a spicy dish. They just seemed to be added at the last minute. The chicken was very tough and the sauce, such as it was, was bland.

We thought our experience as mama huhu (so-so). We are disappointed, but hope this was an off day. We'll try again, just to be sure.

Reviewed 9 March 2016

There is no sushi, no Pad Thai -- just very, very good Chinese cuisine. Judging from the crowds lined up & the thriving takeout business, I guess that I am not alone in appreciating the culinary endeavors. They seem to specialize in Sichuan cooking but there are many dishes that are not so spicy.

The ethereal Flounder (tofu) Fish Ball Soup is an absolute must. While there were peppers next to several of the dishes, I only found the dry fried eggplant appetizer to be spicy - this is also excellent. On the special menu, the special flavor beef and the wooden ears with mustard flavoring were both very tasty. The Seafood Stone Pot with curry flavoring was a winner as was the Shredded Duck (it really wasn't shredded) with scallion & onions. The Bang bang shrimp was good but didn't measure up to the quality of the above dishes.

1  Thank tywo
Reviewed 8 March 2016

Peter Chang has a reputation to keep. He has sought and lucky for those who were able to catch him cooking from his kitchen, he did not disappoint. Lately, it has been hard to catch him running around with his semi-empire of chains of restaurants.

Finally, when we were able to visit Virginia, we had to try his place. Located in a strip mall, I had to temper my disappointment. We ordered 135.00 worth of food. 3 appetisers and 4 entree. I would say that he has better Chinese food rooted on Chinese-Western cuisine of peppers, cumin and cloves. Reminded me of the Gansu and Szechauan cusine with a little influence of Islamic. The major highlight was the bubble bread that what I believe is deep fried. The Malaysian has a name for it, Roti Canai, albeit smaller. But this one is a huge bubble that delighted everyone, including me.

I ordered the porcupine fish ( head and all) deep fried but it was a little disappointing. The fish was obviously not big and fat like what I had in China.

The bottom line is Peter Chang still delivers. The best Chinese cuisine but not to be realistic in your expectation.

2  Thank Gingermint
Reviewed 17 February 2016

I had heard and read a lot about this reclusive, shy Chinese chef and his restaurants. When this restaurant opened up in a strip mall in Arlington, I decided I had to check it out. I read that the bamboo fish appetizer was to die for, so I ordered it, but although the fish (fried) was perfectly cooked and totally not greasy, the dish just seemed to dry for my taste. The spices thrown on top of the fried fish bites were exotic, but it just felt like something was missing. There needed to be a sauce on it. My son, a foodie ordered the Golden Mountain in beef. It was nothing to write home about. No veggies or sauce, but sliced beef that was breaded and fried piled up on a plate. I can't say we would order it again. Once again needed sauce or something to cut the dryness.

All that said, I ordered the Hot Pot in chicken with the hot and numbing sauce (4 chili peppers on the menu meaning really hot). This was the most amazing chinese food dish I have ever eaten. I cannot describe the incredible complexity of the flavors, all wonderful, earthy, just spiced right. Spicy, but not hot like I was expecting. The numbing sauce was incredible. The dish left this amazing buzzing feeling on your tongue after a few bites. I just cannot tell you how amazing this dish was. Great sauce that was basically chill pepper in oil. My son and I devoured this and didn't really touch the other dishes because this was so amazing. We ended taking the others home for leftovers. I read that Peter Chang is not in the kitchen (he must design the food) and so some of the dishes are uneven. Well, when they are done right like the hot pot. I can see why everyone is raving about Peter Chang. He is a Chinese food genius!