“Wow!”

Mazagan
Ranked #191 of 1,008 Restaurants in Arlington
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Contemporary Moroccan Cuisine served in a casual setting (suitable for guests of all ages) featuring Cocktails with a Moroccan twist and a separate Hookah Lounge after 9pm. Mazagan's open kitchen features a wood-fired grill for cooking kabobs and simmering Tagines (a Moroccan cooking style to stew meats and vegetables). Couscous is also available with lamb or with Tfayeh (caramelized onions and raisins). Desserts are all made in-house.
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stumbled onto this place tonight. I visited Morocco 20 years ago. This restaurant definitely got it right! The food was delicious and the atmosphere upscale. The owner appeared to be very engaged with the food and service. Definitely a superb meal!

Complimentary bread with zatar, olives, and olive oil.

App: sardines on rustic bread! Wow! Plus had grilled octopus!

Main course was lamb tagine with couscous.

Outrageous desserts!

Super!

Date of visit: January 2017

Reviewed 20 January 2017

Mazagan is a HUGE contribution to Arlington's restaurant scene. Construction of the interior took months - and the efforts and investment show - the place is ultra cool at night. The tangines are super and the mezze all incredible. The service is Mazagan's differentiator - its really in a class of its own - every server I've ever had is Moroccan and they're all incredibly nice, polite and friendly. Inside the restaurant there's a separate hookah/sheesha lounge which is very cool and beautifully arranged. Twice on occasions I've been Mazagan hosted belly dancers which was a real treat - tastefully done entertainment.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 11 September 2016

I visited this restaurant as part of a Meet Up group in the National Capital Region. Since I arrived an hour early, a friend and I enjoyed a cocktail at the bar. My marguerita was refreshing and potent. Our group was served the following dishes in a family-style: Bakoula, Chakchouka, Zoalouk, Mussels Tagine, Bastilla, Lamb with Prunes & Almonds, Moroccan Causcous, Tilapia Tagine, and Chicken M'kelli along with Moroccan pastries. The service was flawless. The owner or chef made a point visiting each table to inquire about the food and service. Parking was available in the back of the restaurant. Overall, an enjoyable evening.

Date of visit: September 2016
1  Thank Armenda D
Reviewed 19 August 2016

Appears to be a modern fusion type Moroccan Restaurant in the recently renovated section of Columbia Pike and Fillmore Street crossroads. Went there on a Thursday night to listen to Arabic Music. It was packed and bustling. The atmosphere was wonderful. I had eaten here before and enjoyed the food. Food is slightly costlier but one has to pay for the ambience, service and quality. The mixed drinks are cheaper though. Although I do not understand Arabic, I noticed that the clientele was into the music and it was fun to sit through this experience. The servers were smartly dressed and enthusiastic. Would like to come back again. There is a wonderful glass enclosed hookah area too.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank Sundncr
Reviewed 16 August 2016

After our savory courses, we inquired about the sweet offerings. Everything on the menu was French-inspired desserts with the exception of the ubiquitous Baklava and Orange with Cinnamon, both of which I was very familiar with. Despite not having a sweet ending, we were quite pleased with the cooking from this new kitchen, starting with the trio of cold vegetable dishes, the enticing Harira soup, the fairly well executed Chicken Tagine, and the as-good-as-it-gets Lamb Couscous. With cooking this impressive a midst the swanky decor of this new space, I see my dining group and I coming back for more of their offerings.

Date of visit: September 2015