“If you like fresh oysters, hoppy beer, and great service....”

Union Street Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Street Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 877 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Union Street Public House is, and has been for 30 years, a casual dining classic American restaurant. Colonial brick front, beautiful adornments, with 3 bars and 3 separate dining rooms, there is ample space and variety for all sizes and tastes! A local favorite, Union Street has an ever evolving food and beverage program, nightly specials and our famous oyster bar.
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

This was to have been "a business meeting in a quiet local place." It was a business meeting, it was quiet, and it was local. It was also an extraordinarily wonderful surprise. I had 24 oysters and each was perfect. I controlled myself and didn't get another dozen. I regret that. This place has a great feel to it and you would not go wrong taking someone special or a client here. It was full and didn't feel full. They were busy, but we got all the attention we wanted. My three companions each had different entrees and pronounced them "excellent." I felt like I was in a Greenwich Village restaurant in the 70's. And, oh by the way, the bar was hopping without being a disturbance. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

Stopped into Alexandria for the first time and I adore this city. Union Street'd menu looked like a match for us so off we went. Very attractive bar area it with the kiddos we went into the dining room. Interesting old brick building with wood work to frame the white brick interior. Had a Caesar salad and hamburger, while others had lunch special consisting of soup/salad/half sandwich. Tossed in a lager and an IPA. Prices were pretty reasonable and service was punctual and attentive. I would go back and visit this public house again!

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised by the Happy Hour deals. All wine and beer are five dollars and they have a small menu of five dollar food. My wife got a glass of that is normally $11 for $5 and it was great!

The food was also a great deal. The lollipop lamb chops were amazing. I got three small chops for five bucks which is a pretty good deal all-in-all. They were cooked and seasoned perfectly. The sausage plate was ok but all three links were fairly spicy and had a stronger "sausage" flavor than I expected.

The staff were all very nice. We will be back for sure.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

My wife and I were looking for seafood on a Friday night and stumbled on the Union Street Public House. To our surprise, they were able to seat us right away (it was around 7:30). Our waitress (Crystal) was knowledgeable about the menu and was able to answer my questions about the Rockfish dinner (which I ordered). My wife went with the Salmon salad and they were able to substitute spinach for the kale normally served with the salad. Overall, the food was great and Crystal was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

Meeting friends to TALK and not just drink and eat can be a challenge. Noise and music and interruptions....but a corner booth in Union St or a table in back room oyster bar are a GOOD place to be. We have visited both with other couples and had great food and good times with a chance to catch up with each other. And we will be back to do it again. Oysters are of course top of the menus but nachos with braised beef not hamburger are delicious and big enough to share. Fries are hot and crisp. Lots of beers to choose and enough wines to satisfy non beer drinkers. I enjoy this place and I do not like beer or oysters. Try it next time conversation is part of your
evening plan for happy hour, 5-7 pm.