“"UNFORTUNATELY CASA FELIPE IS CLOSED"”
Review of Casa Felipe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa Felipe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 14 April 2016

We always enjoyed this great little restaurant! The food was excellent but the service
was OUTSTANDING! We will miss the best server ever Sonia and her beautiful smile.
Casa Felipe will be replaced with a Thai restaurant.

Reviewed 23 January 2016

Very nice Mexican restaurant!
Lots of different choices on the menu, from appetizers , to main entree and combo.
The chile relleno was very good ( had it with ground beef).
The dinner with carne asada was good. It came with black beans ( was expecting pinto beans ) . Very surprised to see black beans on this restaurant.
The rice ( I guess it was cilantro/lime ) rice. Was good.
Good blend of Mexican /American food.

Reviewed 21 November 2015

Thanks Tripadvisor for a great find here! It was showery, windy and cold when we got into our hotel in Alexandria, so we didn’t feel like going too far to explore for our dinner that evening. A quick search came up with this colourful little restaurant just two minutes’ walk from our hotel.

We were welcomed by a very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful waitress, who made suggestions for meals to suit my dietary requirements. The food was wonderful – authentic, tasty and plentiful. It was also very good value for money, with enough left over to take home for brekkie.

We loved the décor: so colourful and cosy, and as another reviewer mentioned, spotlessly clean everywhere. It shows the quality of management and staff to see such pride in their business. Thank you Casa Felipe for a lovely evening.

1  Thank travelbugbitten10
Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

This little gem serves up some authentic Mexican delights. I got a three item lunch special and chose a beef taco, chicken enchilada and pork tomale to get a wide variety. While the portion sizes are on the smaller side I did not leave there hungry. The chips were homemade and the guacamole was very fresh. I think they use give you enough from at least one fruit and maybe more.

I will definitely be back to try their mole and more.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

I'm no expert in authentic Mexican food. But this, imho, is not it. I hesitate to give it two stars.

Anyway, my co-worker suggested this place since it was close and cheap. In this part of Old Town, options are limited (especially when you compare it to the variety on King Street). So let's just say that I had low expectations.

Walking in, I was underwhelmed. This place is small and kind of dingy. A large party took up nearly half the restaurant, and although we were seated promptly, it took almost 10 minutes for the lone server to take our drink order. After waiting that long, we knew exactly what we wanted. I let the server know we were ready and she wouldn't take our order. Like, stopped me before I could say chimicanga, wouldn't take it. But what she didn't say was I'm going to make a slew of frozen drinks first, deliver some food, and then come back in about 10 minutes. Note to self - try to avoid small sit-down restaurants during lunch time unless I'm in it for the long haul. The place was just understaffed.

We munched on a pitifully small basket of chips and salsa after we ordered. My co-worker could have eaten it by herself. The first basket is free, but after that no more freebies.

When our food finally did arrive, I started enjoying my lunch portion shredded chicken chimicanga. Things were going ok until I saw what looked like bone in my chimicanga. Which wouldn't have been totally weird since it was shredded chicken. But I looked closely and saw that it was a toothpick. That's right, a toothpick. I guess during the deep fry process they put it in there to hold its shape, and forgot to take it out before serving it. Maybe the cheese covered it up? I'm not really sure, but I can tell you that I would have been just fine without it. Barring this, the food was ok. Beans needed some salt, rice had minimal flavor, and the chicken was tender.

I probably won't be back.

1  Thank Tiffany D