“Excellent Thai. ”

Sam Phao Thai Cuisine
Ranked #100 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Sam Phao Thai is tucked away on King Street, a bit more low-key than the other numerous restaurants around it. It's a cozy dining room (sit upstairs next to the window if you can) with good prices and excellent Thai food.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Super authentic food and genuine people! Amazing pad Thai and I've spent 4 months in Thailand quite recently!

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Right around the corner so I very much wanted to embrace this establishment. I love Thai food and was crossing my fingers. Service was swift as we sat down but a bit understaffed as more people flowed in and they were a little overwhelmed at the dinner hour.

A standard test for me is the classic lotus salad: it was bland and the peanuts on top were stale. My main entree was a red parang curry with chicken. While the curry sauce was delicious, the meat was overcooked (always hard with chicken) and even more disappointing was the absolute lack of vegetables in the dish. I ate way too many bamboo shoots. I did have three pieces of eggplant, which were terrific. My friend had the Drunken Noodles with pork; the wide fat noodles were often stuck together (ugh).

The restaurant was clean and bright. Both upstairs and downstairs had windows that allowed you to watch the foot traffic along King Street so the views are great.

I found this place to be very average; not awful, just average.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Went with a group for dinner. The consensus was the food was good, some dishes very good, but the service was fair at best. The food didn't all come out at the same time and getting refills of drinks was slow.

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Great food and wonderful presentation. Would definitely come again. Has the chicken pineapple served in a pineapple shell. Excellent. Pad Thai better than home.