“This is the place!”

Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Now in it's thirty-fourth season, the Shallow Shaft Restaurant is an eclectic dining experience set in the beauty of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Chef Kurtis Krause welcomes you to our unique and intimate restaurant that is the perfect place to enjoy our regional mountain cuisine and superb views of the Wasatch Mountains.We use locally grown and produced ingredients and we support the slow food / organic cause.
Reviewed 28 February 2017

Just recently had my second visit to The Shallow Shaft....it was every bit as good and memorable as the first time that I was here several years ago. The food is first class second to none in the area. I had the Cassoulet with andouille sausage and duck and it was fantastic. I also had a warm Kale salad (where else is this available?) and the spicy mussels for an appetizer. My waiter was in his ninth year here. I find it amazing that they can keep up the high quality food, varied extensive menu and long term employees in what I assume is only a short seasonal operation.

1  Thank turtleminn

Reviewed 15 February 2017

This was definitely the best meal we had all weekend while at Snowbird. You can a free shuttle form Snowbird to Alta. It's a small restaurant so I would probably make a reservation if possible. Very cozy and unpretentious.

The trout cakes were delicious. The lobster gnocchi was good too but not as good as the trout cakes. The caesar salad was really good. Real anchovies and the crisp onions were really good. The Alaskan cod was delicious but not sure why it had plain white popcorn on the dish. It didn't add in any way to the texture, flavor, or color. It was very out of place. The osso bucco was also good. The brussel sprouts were really good. The asparagus was also good. The winter mushrooms not so good.

My 2 favorite dishes were probably the brussel sprouts and the Caesar salad.

The hot fudge sundae was a bit disappointing. Very average.

Would definitely be back. Probably the best food in Alta/Snowbird area.

The service was so-so. Attentive and helpful but they didn't bring out the sides until we were 1/3 through our main dishes.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

Resort pricing, good staff, good food (better one of the two nights we went), good wine list (resort prices) and nice ambiance.

Reviewed 12 February 2017

Lilian and I thoroughly enjoyed a spectacular five course wine -paired feast, spectacularly created by Executive Chef Cole Hunt, sponsored by Duckhorn Wineries (they have many, one for each varietal, according to Duckhorn's representative Zach Rasmuson, who hosted the evening, at the Shallow Shaft restaurant at Alta, not to be missed if you're in the Salt Lake City area, and especially if you're up Little Cottonwood canyon at Snowbird or Alta. From the Hamachi Sashimi, on to the Pan Seared Diver Scallops with pancetta, to the Seared Muscovy Duck Breast, on to the Kashmiri Rack of Lamb, concluding with Foie Gras Ice Cream with Apricot purée and Chocolate Tuile, all complemented by appropriate Sauvignon Blancs, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlots❗Our evening was highlighted with the restaurant owner (of 30 years!) Walter Krebsbach J.D. and his daughter Laura joining us at the table to discuss Minnesota (he's from St. Paul), his "team approach" to running a restaurant, and Alta over the past many decades⛷❗A wonderful evening for all!

1  Thank I8254JXkims
Reviewed 29 January 2017

The Bison steak was out of this world so much better than filet lighter not gamey. The Caesar salad was delicious with perfect amount of clean tart dressing. The menu is unique and I took a pause when reading it. But every time I go there no matter what i choose it's delicious, healthy with freshest ingredients.
The service is happy and impeccable and the is ambiance rustic funky mountain. Warm, friendly, top notch. This is the best restaurant in the Snowbird/Alta area.
Only down side is that parking is on the road and sometimes takes a few minutes. If you are in Snowbird you can get someone from the hotels to drop you off and pick you up.