“Gone Downhill”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's Crab Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #870 of 4,188 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Austin
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Used to love this restaurant.... Went last weekend and the steamer was full of rubbery seafood. While their was a nice size lobster in the pot, it was flavorless, and I had the Sam Adams version! Service wasn't great. Had to flag someone down just to get our check. Will pass on this next time I am in Austin. Overpriced for the quality. Would rather go to Fogo de Chao.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

I brought my son here for his birthday. He had a dungeness crab basket that he thoroughly enjoyed.

I decidedly, wrongly I now realize, to have blackened redfish. The reason I didn't have crabs is I just didn't feel like getting all messy. It was a mistake. The redfish was a bit dry and the dirty rice was flavorless. The broccoli was okay though.

I had a spiked iced tea but it was too watery as well.

For dessert I had the apple crisp which was delicious.

My son thoroughly enjoyed his crab bucket which included corn on the cob and potatoes.

Only go here if you order crabs, that's all they seem to be able to get right.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We ate here a few days ago and just returned for lunch today! You can bring your pets and eat outside which was great since parents' home flooded and they had to evacuate with their dog. King Crab is a little pricey but when you watch the tv show, The Deadliest Catch, you know the reason why! Beautiful location and great food ! Taylor was awesome waitress and very thoughtful and attentive !

1  Thank AttyVette
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Last night on our 59th anniversary, we again went to Joe's Crab Shack on Riverside Dr., across from downtown Austin. The service was attentive and careful to explain the differences between the offered crab buckets. The crabs were excellent and the skyline view is maybe the best available. They respected our ages and didn't make us do the Anniversary Dance.

1  Thank fritz p
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

The positives have been said previously- great setting. Amazing view and huge menu.
We dined this Sunday and the place was starting to get quiet yet despite only 1/3rd of the tables seated- our wait was long.

The welcome was friendly and flawless to be fair as was the supply of drinks and care throughout.

The menu disappointed with fairly small portions such as the shrimp skewer (with shells on not a necessity) and the chicken dishes were chewy chicken.

Other than that the appetisers and crab were excellent and the 1/2lb shrimp superb.

Average food, not the cleanest environment in a great setting with friendly staff.

Price point high for what you get.

Worth 1 visit / get the feeling it will be hit and miss ....

Been to Joe's Crab Shack? Share your experiences!