“Great Burgers and Shakes”
Review of Nau's Enfield Drug

Nau's Enfield Drug
Ranked #1,294 of 4,188 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 24 May 2017

If you're looking for a triditional burger and shake place, this is it. With a 50's/60's vibe and mouth watering food. I wish Nau's would restock their shelves to bring in more customers. I'm afraid that Austin will lose this "gem".

Reviewed 10 May 2017

I once visited a hole-in-the-wall, nondescript diner (really just a counter with one or two tables) in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, that was known as a great spot for locals and which famously didn't care about impressing you or whether you were coming back. They'd also throw you out if you started talking on your cell phone.

They got away with it because the owner -- a former marine -- was a first rate chef and you were rewarded for doing things their way. No such luck with here.

Enfield Drug is an Austin institution for one reason only: it's been there for a long time. It shouldn't even be on TripAdvisor. They don't want your business. To their credit, they're super honest about it. I'd been here once before and came with my extended family; when one of them pointed out that they didn't seem to have much of anything that was on the menu, the surly waiter said 'you must be new here' and instructed me to explain to my family 'how things worked.'

This was for an order of waffles -- not lobster thermadore.

The prices are low but the portions are quite small and unremarkable. The service was disinterested and apathetic. I guess if you know the people who work here and come often, perhaps you'll be rewarded, because there were certainly a few happy looking regulars there -- but I'm a local myself and I can't think of one reason I'd go back.

Not for tourists or even "off the beaten path" seekers.

Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

Wasn't really impressed with diner or look of store. Looked very run down & cluttered.
Boxes stacked in several area's of the store. Diner very pricey for what you got. No sides- you have to purchase. So a burger nothing else comes with it. Paid $8 for bacon cheeseburger.

Reviewed 6 June 2016

I don't often write reviews like this because there is usually some redeeming quality, but this was just awful, awful, awful. We loved that a place like this still exists and were staying close so thought we would try it for breakfast on our way out of town. First, we were told to sit anywhere and then the server left for a few minutes. We waited a good 10 minutes for her to come to us and only after I caught the eye of someone else behind the counter who told her to "take care of us". She took our drink orders and forgot to bring coffee for my son. She never brought menus. Over 5 minutes after we scrounged our own menus, she came back to order. About 10 minutes later there were heated words between her and the other person behind the counter. Our server marched out from behind the counter to speak to the owner who was in the front of the store. I could hear him say to her that "this is not something that can be fixed". She came back and told the people she had been "taking care of" (and I use that term loosely) that she was leaving. 10 minutes later, still no food. I asked the cook who had walked out from behind the counter to get more eggs from behind an aisle in the store if our order had been started. It had NOT. We cancelled our order, went to the front of the store to pay for our drinks and told the owner about the problem. He said NOTHING. So, although I cannot speak about the quality of the food, I can say there was nothing good about this experience. I should say that there were 3 other people who were there when we arrived and when we left they had not yet been served, either.

Reviewed 6 May 2016

This place is like stepping back into time. It is a pharmacy as well as a restaraunt. It does not seem like anything has been updated since the 1950s. The restaruant has that old school diner feel to it. There are tables and booths. We sat in a booth for that true retro feel. I can't say it was that comfortable, but it sure was hip.
Our waitress promptly waited on us. Not being too hungry, we passed on a meal. I did order a chocolate malt. It has been many years since I have had a chocolate malt. This one was great. They even gave us the 'extra' in a steel cup. Love it.

While you are there, go outside and check out the mural. It is a great photo op. C