See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 July 2016

My wife and I needed accommodation near UT for a conference in late June. We feel we lucked out by finding The Quarters online. First, by staying five nights, we got a reduced rate that was far better than the official hotel's. (The office staff went beyond the usual to arrange for the same room for all five nights, but we did book 5 months in advance.) And parking was free, unlike at the hotel. The breakfasts were definitely above average, with lots of choice beyond the two hot dishes. We thoroughly enjoyed the roomy common rooms on the ground floor. And when we had sessions to attend, it was only a 15-to-20-minute walk even to the furthest building on campus. And shopping/dining on "The Drag" - the Guadeloupe St. area across from the campus, is only 5-to-10 minutes away. Plucker's, a very busy and enjoyable restaurant with the college crowd much in the majority and chicken wings in many varieties on the menu, was just across the street from our accommodation

On the somewhat-minus side, those walks to sessions and meals were made in typical Texas summer heat. And to counter the heat, the air conditioning at The Quarters was sometimes cranked up too high, especially in the breakfast common area. (We had to take our breakfast into the next room the first morning to keep the eggs and bacon warm!) Nevertheless, when we visited the main desk (in a separate building) with comments about the frigid conditions and also a noisy fan in our room, corrections were made very quickly by a co-operative and knowledgeable staff. Our bedroom was smaller than those in hotels, with two desks and chairs (for winter dorm conditions) taking up a lot of space. Again, having the whole ground floor as a sitting-room area helped compensate for that. There was only a shower in our somewhat sparse ensuite bathroom, but we did have an ensuite, something that not all rooms have.

Of course the major negative for accommodation that is handy, comfortable and reasonably-priced is that it is available only when school is out! During most of the year it serves as an upscale private women's dorm. So it's not available from
August to early May, when the weather outside may be cooler and when your visit to Austin may be taking place. But if you do need a home away from home during the "off-season" at UT, check it out. We're glad we did. (and yes, we did enjoy the evening ice cream available from the kitchen fridge!)

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2016

During the school year, this is a really nice UT women's dorm. So, expect pretty small rooms and air conditioning controlled remotely. The common area is indeed nice, and the place is clean, but we will not stay there again. You can find a Comfort Inn or perhaps Fairfield with bigger rooms and more amenities for the same price, I'm guessing.
I tried to use the two computers in the common area, neither one worked, and when I called the desk for help, they offered no help. The wifi instructions are on a card in the rooms and the simple editing in of one word would make the directions easier to comprehend for those of us who are tech-challenged.
When we checked in, we then had to sit and wait while the lady at the desk answered as bunch of questions for a potential fall renter, who arrived after us. Seems to me good PR to take people in order of arrival. However, we were there for short stay, not a semester, so I imagine they have to cater a bit more to the longer term renters.
Warning for light sleepers. A garbage truck comes through every other night or so at 3:30 a.m. , so you are serenaded with beeps, bangs, whining machinery, etc. This it not the fault of the hosts, but don't be startled if it happens.
The main advantage I see is free parking if you are going to anything at UT. So much better than circling, circling, circling around trying to find a spot. I thought $134 plus tax to be a little steep for a such small room, but you do get breakfast and parking--but you also get a less-than-motivated staff. Which is more important to you?

Room Tip: Avoid any room that backs up to alley
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2015

My husband I stayed here for a Peace Corps reunion at the end of May. The location is very good for access to the UT campus. Breakfasts are included, and ice cream and sweet treats in the afternoon and early evening. Except for the morning when I mistook grits for low quality scrambled eggs, I enjoyed them. The room was fine too, though no telephone. We did have a cell phone, of course. One thing that was not ideal was the temperature - too cool, and centrally controled. We ended up with a window open at night to modify that - a waste of energy, for sure. I think the setting was not unusual for hot times in Texas, but still not perfect for visiting Coloradans. One more feature - no counter space next to the sink in the bathroom. I bet the coeds like that as much as I did. With those comments, still a very good deal for us in terms of comfort, convenience, and cost.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2015 via mobile

In town for a conference, joined about 25 others from our group at Hardin House. Loved everything about it: rooms were kept impeccably clean, staff were good natured and friendly, breakfasts were delicious. We loved gathering in the evening around the sofas and winding down from the day's activities over ice cream from the frig. HH is close to Guadaloupe Street for restaurants and shopping. In under 10 minutes you are on UT campus. Major museums ate nearby. A perfect stay.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wangsneg
Reviewed 27 May 2015 via mobile

The ladies at the front desk were very friendly. The location is awesome for the price. Took Uber numerous times to 6th street for only $6.50, but you could even walk there, we did just fine. A short walk to Kerbey Lane Café as well, definite plus! The room is basic & very clean, small TV, mini fridge, decent size walk in closet that contained an extra blanket and some hangers, & an attached bath. What I loved is the chenille bedspread & decor, making this basic room feel like visiting grandma. As well as 24/7 access to the kitchen, which was stocked with several tubs of ice cream, toppings, milk, candy, & bread, a living area, office, gym, & a courtyard. The ONLY downside is having 0 access to control the temperature. Luckily, the 3 days we were there the a/c was on blast, a little on the too cold side. But we didn't complain, it was refreshing after walking a full day in the Texas heat.
Tips: Bring an extra blanket. At night it felt like the a/c was in the 60-65 range, & utilize the folder they have for you on the mini fridge. It contains very informative maps, city guide, bus routes, etc.
I plan on only staying here throughout the summer months. Very sad it goes back to being a dorm room through the school year. You can't beat the safety, cleanliness, & location to 6th street without having to pay $300+.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends