“They put us out in the cold”

Candlewood Suites - Austin South
Ranked #118 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Wichita Falls, Texas
“They put us out in the cold”
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We had a reservation at Candlewood Suites in Austin. When we arrived in town, we discovered that a major event (Austin Marathon) was happening in the city. At the hotel they told us the room we had reserved was not available. Worse, the front desk lied to us saying that they didn't have the type of room we reserved (two double beds) in the hotel. Nor would they even offer us a rollaway bed or extra bedding to sleep on the floor. Due to the large number of people looking for a hotel room in the city, either they overbooked or realized that they could rent the room for a higher price than we had confirmed it for. We ended up driving 30 miles to the next town and staying in a small, clean family run hotel where the staff was very friendly. But it wasn't fun getting kicked out of a hotel where we had a reservation at 9 o'clock at night with 3 kids and every hotel in town full.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Schnickle
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
We are an all-suites hotel and unfortunately we do not have two double bedded rooms in our hotel. However we do offer One Bedroom Suites along with Studio Suites with full Kitchens and come fully equipped. We also offer complimentary coffee, wifi, guest laundry and 24 hour fitness center. We regret that this guest was unhappy with our accomodations and strive to accomodate all guests. Please feel free to view all this and more on our website at www.candlewoodsuites.com/austinsouth.

Sincerely

Your Candlewood Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We stayed for 10 days in November 2010. One bedroom suite was ideal for us. Staff was friendly, helpful, lots of value added amenities such as 6 free washers and 6 dryers, good exercise room , 24/7 coffee and tea, newspaper.... Even the kitchenware was top quality ( we upgraded at home to the items provided at Candlewood), Maid service and front desk personnel outstanding. Continous preventive maintenance was evident. and the facility and surroundings were very clean. Safe , easily accessed area. We liked the second floor since we prefere to open the windows widely and were not disturbed by street sounds. There was a gazebo outside with multiple grills available.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JBelmont72
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us!! We truly appreciate your buisness and hope that you will stay with us again the next time your travels take you to Austin.
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Last minute trip to Austin for a couple of nights, on a football game weekend - many hotels were already booked. Found this place for $85/night + taxes (totalled approx $100/night) & it was good value, esp considering what little else was available.

- easy to find: along the access road of the 35 freeway, just south of downtown/the lake
- easy drive to South Congress, downtown, UT area. Also, it's close enough (a few miles, approx 10 min drive) that you can drive surface streets & not get onto the freeways to get there, which is a big plus since the 35 is pain at the best of times
- room was clean & spacious. Full kitchen in hotel, refrigerator etc.
- front desk guy was friendly & helpful
- hotel & surroundings were quiet
- wifi internet was spotty -- sometimes was OK, sometimes very slow. My guess is that the hotel doesn't have much bandwidth so if multiple people are using it at once, it gets really slow
- otherwise, no "ambiance" to speak of: no restaurant, no lobby etc. It's in a strip mall area alongside a big freeway.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hibachi
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Spend almost week there during SXSW2010. With window facing the parking and highway I could observe cops pulling over drivers and people having BBQs on the backs of their trucks. Very Texan ;) Bad thing that the large American flag in front were dirty and jagged.
The room was OK, with well equipped kitchen and all the things that one would expect from cheap American motel. Staff were rather unnoticeable, and checking in lasted ages (to be fair it was very late, as my plane was late).
The location is bad if you don't have a car - far from city center, far from airport.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
san jose, ca
Reviewed 12 September 2010

As the time of this writing, I'm still staying in this hotel. Everything was pleasant until my wife broke the news this morning. My wife told me that she saw 2 bed bugs while I was sleeping and she caught one of them and the other one ran away. She ended up putting it inside crumpled white tissue. To my surprise, the bug was still there when I woke up. My wife and I checked our bodies and there was one red welt in my arm, close to my hand. We talked to the front desk to show my hand and the bug. At the end, we were moved to a different room (the room number that has bed bugs was 206). For tonight, I am still shocked and tried to prevent this, I bought a white vinyl sheet from walmart to cover the bed, pushed the mattress away from the wall, will turn on all the lights all night (I hope these work). I will upload a photo and a video of the bed bug. I will definitely update my 2nd night experience very soon. Pest controls in this hotel need to be improved. At this point, I am still shocked and freaked out (this is my first encounter and hopefully the last).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bogelo
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
We take these issues very seriously and respond quickly We make sure that all rooms are inspected and treated in advance to avoid any bug issues. Most of our guests are long term guests and we want them to be comfortable.