All reviews garden cottage each morning south congress loft bed tiled pool amy's ice cream walking distance two blocks location was perfect night stay soco retreat property linens
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I found Park Lane accidentally on the internet when looking for a romantic retreat for me and my boyfriend. We were having dinner downtown that night at Uchi, along with seeing a play, and didn't want to drive all the way back up north. Park Lane is literally in the middle of it all, but on a private street with little traffic in a tiny neighborhood.

We stayed in the largest room, I believe, with a kitchen/living room that were separate from the bedroom and a beautiful bathroom. They were all spotless and pristine. My boyfriend and I loved the dual showerhead shower and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, so much so I actually took a brochure to purchase one. The grounds were beautiful and quaint and I wished it could have been summer so we could have enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and there was coffee in our room for us to make on our own, which I enjoy because I am a coffee snob. It was also local Austin coffee that I would have bought myself, which made me feel even more at home.

I will admit that the owners of Park Lane seemed a bit icy, but I wasn't there to be best friends with them. I was there to have a romantic night with my boyfriend and Park Lane offered us that.

I am sad that I left a bottle of beer that my boyfriend and I purchased (a very rare beer we intended to age) and even went back for it after calling and it was nowhere to be found. But, it was a bottle of beer not a diamond ring (though to my boyfriend you would have thought differently) so I guess it could be worse.

Room Tip: The Vicki is the only "stand alone" room. If you want the ultimate in privacy, it would be best to stay there. The other rooms share walls with other people.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingkittens
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The descriptions on the property's website are quite accurate. The rare complaints I see here are from people who frankly would be bothered by staying at a place like this anyway. The cottage we were in was peaceful, beautiful and the location is terrific -- within easy walking distance of the South Congress Street scene. Breakfasts are very good and the innkeeper is friendly without being intrusive. This really is a special place and I loved it, but I could also see how it could set some peoples' teeth on edge. Just understand what you're getting and if you *think* you'll be happy there, you'll be happy there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frobozz
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We travel to Austin about once a year to visit family and take in the music scene. Finding a place to stay had always been a hassle, until we found the Park Lane. The rooms are gorgeous, and well-appointed, with everything you might need (including the cowboy hat to keep out the sun). It is located in a quiet, residential area, and the guest rooms surround a lovely patio with a swimming poor and a giant Live Oak offering generous shade. We could walk easily everywhere we needed to go, from Congress street to our friends' homes. AND the FOOD was spectacular. We made our own coffee in our room (something I appreciated being able to do, because I don't really want to interact with anyone before coffee), and were served at a patio table poolside. Our hostess appeared brusque at first, but warmed up considerably once we got to know her. And can she cook! Each breakfast was a delight!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My wife and I spent a good deal of time in Austin during college. We like to "get away" to Austin every now and again to recharge and enjoy the city. My wife loves the SoCo area of town, so this year we decided to try a B&B in the area instead of a boring old hotel.

I hoped we made a good choice with Park Lane, and wow! Were we ever pleased! The service is impeccable and invisible. Breakfast arrives at a prearranged time with a knock on the door and it is wonderful.

Park Lane is just two blocks off South Congress, but you'd never know it by the quiet of the neighborhood. The Carriage House was perfect for the two of us, with the pool literally right out the door and the great outdoor shower right there, too.

The location is just right for dancing the night away at the Continental Club, or for a relaxing break after hitting all the shops up and down the street. Give Shakti (and the pups!) a shot, and you won't want to leave.

Room Tip: The Carriage House has a great outdoor shower just out the door by the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Perfect location for everything we wanted to do in Austin, it's in a very quiet residential area but only a few minutes walk to Congress Street and the bars, food and music. We also walked across the bat bridge and up to the State Capitol building - that was much further at around 30 minutes, but unusually (in our experience) for America it was pedestrian friendly and so a pleasant walk. We were made to feel most welcome from the moment we arrived, Shakti found out what we were interested in and then provided all the information we needed. We stayed in the room in the main house and we ate a freshly prepared breakfast each morning served to us in the garden. Everthing was just lovely, we are not vegan or vegetarian, but if ever we had a reason to return to Austin we would most definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple