“Lunch time”
Review of The Geranium House

The Geranium House
Ranked #18 of 69 Restaurants in Athens
Description: The Geranium House Bed & Breakfast is also a Tea Room that serves lunch. Everything is homemade: soups, sandwiches, salads, and desserts. We also offer 18 varieties of Teavana Teas. Please visit our website for more information.
Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

I love coming to the Geranium House for lunch. I Love Nancy's food and her almond tea drink. I have referred her to many of my friends and they all truly enjoyed her food and unique house. A great place to go to when you're in town.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

It is difficult to write a negative review in a small town like ours. I want independent business owners to succeed, especially women owned businesses. That said, I cannot recommend The Geranium House.

I booked a lunch reservation for my Mother's birthday thinking this would be a special treat. I had read a great article about TGH and it's history, and really was intrigued by the story. I have great admiration for any woman who can reinvent herself. When we arrived, it was a little hard to determine where to enter the cool looking old house, but we finally found the entrance and proceeded to a table. The Victorian house had a pleasant feel with lots of old things displayed (nothing is for sale). We were the only people eating there at that time. The owner greeted us and from that moment on, we were literally bombarded by her constant talking. At first we were interested in her unique history, and background, but we soon grew weary of her hovering and chatter. This was my mom's birthday and we had come to celebrate together.

Our food was pretty good, however, there was a constant narrative stream accompanying it, describing the owner's abilities to cook, bake and offer her specialities. She built our anticipation of her food by telling us about her culinary skills long before we tasted her microwaved (?) offerings. We had quiche, salad, teas (a nice variety of teas were offered), and my Mom was given a special dessert because it was her birthday. This dessert was a kind of cake in a teacup that neither of us wanted to finish. All was a little pricey (over $50 with the tip), but hey, good wholesome food is worth it, yes? This food was, imo, just okay, nothing to remember and not worth the money.

We learned that our hostess was expecting week end guests (TGH is a B and B), how many, their history of staying there, how the beds/rooms had to be readied, the place cleaned, and much more than we ever cared to know.

When it finally came time to pay, our hovering hostess took my debit card and tried to run it through her system. Apparently the system was not working, so I had to pay by check. Luckily, I had my check book with me. The whole operation took a long time. My sweet mother sat patiently while I took care of this. As we left, we both looked at each other, feeling totally exhausted by the whole experience.

I could not recommend The Geranium House, but I offer a bit of advice to the owner: You have an interesting venue, a pleasant environment and Athens certainly needs a B & B like yours. But, honing your hostess skills and understanding intuitively who and what your customers are about would be a great addition to your tool kit. I would also recommend that you not microwave your precooked food. With some focused fine tuning, you could grow your business into something very special, as you certainly have the basic structure to do so.

Nancy A, Owner at The Geranium House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Wow! She certainly hit it all!!! Of the hundreds of folks I have served over the 3 + years in business, this is the first negative response I've had. Guess you can't please everyone. Please look at my other 5 star reviews. This woman is apparently not cut out for my type of venue. I do most certainly give credit to the Lord for everything we do here at The Geranium House. And I love to testify for Him. Yes, it may offend some people, but the only person I don't want to offend is Him! I already have a thriving business and really don't need this type of negativity nor accept her various suggestions for change. That's what's nice about owning your own business...it's my business, thank you! Won't miss your business one bit. Have plenty of other return and new patrons who absolutely love our food and environment. We have been doubling our business every year! Check us out. You won't be disappointed. Everything is homemade. And how the heck else am I supposed to warm up the soups, etc??? This woman is definitely something else! God bless her!

Reviewed 20 February 2017

We stayed in the upstairs suite at the bed and breakfast - my sister and I and our 2 daughters (aged 18 and 19). It is decorated with antiques and mementos, but the furniture and beds were new and very comfy. The girls liked the tub and shower. The nooks and everything made a wonderful mother/daughter get together. Nancy is a perfect hostess, offering homemade desserts, drinks, etc. when we arrived. Her almond tea is special. Not a crumb was left of the desserts we tried.

Wonderful atmosphere - food was exceptional. Breakfast was set beautifully - we had to take a picture of the table before we sat down!

It is a very special place run by a very special lady. We enjoyed our conversations with her during breakfast.

Both of the girls want to return as it has given us a special memory for a special occasion. We will definitely be visiting again when we come this way!

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

The food is really amazing. The owner grows her own herbs and makes everything fresh. I had the tomato soup and it was delicious. It's really hard to find a place that actually makes everything from scratch. The owner was happy to give us a history of the home and we got LOTS of attention and information. We will go back!

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

We celebrated my mother's birthday at this totally fabulous tea room. The high ceilings took you back to yesteryear. The decor was so unique and fun. The food was fresh & homemade. The almond tea was worth the trip by itself. We certainly will return to the Geranium House.

Nancy A, Owner at The Geranium House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

Thanks, Donna! We loved having y'all!

Been to The Geranium House? Share your experiences!