“Great service for a late lunch”

On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #90 of 249 Restaurants in Allen
Cuisines: Mexican, Grill
Description: Every day at 8 a.m., we start chopping veggies, soaking beans, and prepping our mesquite-fired grill. Not because we have to, but because we believe in delicious flavors made-to-order, from hand-rolled enchiladas to our sizzling fajitas to guacamole made right at your table. Everything pairs nicely with a grande margarita, and of course, enjoy the always endless chips and salsa. Voted One of the BEST MARGARITAS @ Dallas Margarita Meltdown 2018!
Reviewed 3 March 2017

This was our first visit to this chain. We went on a weekday for a late lunch, so there were only a couple of other people there. It was nice and relaxing. The chips and salsa weren't as good as El Fenix's, but decent enough for a big chain. My husband had the chicken lunch fajitas which he rates a 7 on a scale of 10. There was no seasoning on the meat, which could have been a lot better if they had done that. They make their own tortillas on site. I had the brisket quesadilla lunch combo with a side salad, which was very good. They put pico de gallo in everything, including the salad, so if you don't like cilantro, be sure to mention it. The brisket was very tasty, but they snuck in a few jalapenos on me, which I wasn't expecting. The waitress was very friendly, and she was prompt to take our order, bring the food, check in on us, and give us the check. It's a sports bar as well, so there are many flat screen tv's hung up all over. They did have a good-sounding brownie-type dessert, but we were too full to try it this time around.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

We haven’t been to an On the Border in over two years, and we have a gift card to use!

Om: I had no idea that a Chili’s gift card also worked for other restaurants, including On the Border! It seems appropriate since this restaurant is like the “Chili’s” of Mexican style food. It will always be a solid choice, rarely bad or spectacular. Chips could have used a bit more salt, that seems to be the case at most Tex-Mex restaurants though. Salsa was a strong mild. I ended up ordering off their happy hour menu, which was comprised of a few different appetizers. And I ordered almost every option! Mini taco’s I enjoyed the most, they were the most substantial to me and loaded with meat and toppings. Mini chimichangas – and I don’t think I’ve ever had a “normal” one before – had a satisfying crunch and meaty. The empanadas were similar, crunchy and meaty. The mini quesadilla was too bland for me, cheese and tortilla shell…there was just nothing to it, and not something I would order again. Sopapilla’s ended my food journey of the evening – I didn’t care for the honey sauce, seemed to have been mixed with something that I didn’t enjoy. The sopapilla’s were good by themselves though! If I were going to convince someone to eat here, I would tell them that you will get some decent food, decent service, at a decent price. No food will stand out as being “the best”, but nothing will be severely disappointing. If I were trying to convince a someone to eat elsewhere, I may tell them the same thing! Nothing will stand out. It was still neat to go back to a place with my Beautiful Love that we haven’t been to in years and walk away satisfied!

Nom: We haven’t been to On the Border in I don’t remember how long…years! So this was a really nice departure for me with my handsome love! The restaurant was nice and clean and at the hour we went they were not busy! I ordered the beef fajitas and they are really good. I am surprised I’m saying that about chain restaurant food but it’s true! The beef is really tender…how do they do that? Our waiter was funny as he would answer any question we asked with “of cooourse” I could have asked if they could me grilled moose fajitas and he might have said “oooof cooourse”. Don’t get me wrong he was a very good waiter and we didn’t sit for any amount of time with an empty chip bowl or drink glass. I loved my fajitas altho I asked for no peppers I just picked around those. I toyed with the idea of a chimichanga for a minute or two but the fajitas pulled me in! And they were delicious!! I would enjoy another fajita trip here with my handsome love!!!

1  Thank OmAndNom
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We had an awesome meal and service!! We were in town for a family function and they were very accomidating!

Reviewed 15 April 2016

I am from California and we do NOT eat Tex Mex. Tex Mex seems to be "queso" melted Velvetta cheese and who knows what else! Frankly, GROSS! Who eats Velvetta anymore?? They serve hamburger meat not shredded beef and my taco had to be sent back as it was too crisp. My tamale was so small it was practically non-existent. The plain chips and salsa was good though. But woman and man cannot live by chips alone. The tout they prepare quacamole at your table, but the two who were eating it both complained it wasn't prepared well. I would never eat there again. Sorry On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina. Tex Mex is not my enchilada! Give me good Mexican food anyday.

Reviewed 28 February 2016

My family went here last night for my sister's birthday and I was disappointed in the quality of our food. I got beef fajitas and they were tough. The salsa was overpowered by too much strong onion (I like onion) and the fajitas had the same problem. The rice was pretty tasteless as were the grilled veggies. I was given a small portion of pico, sour cream and lettuce as well. The tortillas were good as was the service. The people were great.
My lunch portion beef fajitas was priced at $11.69 sans tax and tip. I had water. This location is on the west side of the I-75 frontage road between Denny's and Ihop.