“Just terrible”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple Ave.
Transit: Located on the SEPTA R - 5 line
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has fallen way off! We checked the menu on the internet prior to traveling an hour to get there. The menu advertised lamb rack and pork shanks and onion soup and so many great items that we wanted to try. However the actual menu had only six entrees and one cold soup, none of which I wanted to order. I wanted to leave but we were with another couple and could not. Finally settled for a $10 salad that came with no dressing and a $28 dry as desert brisket dish. My wife’s expensive shrimp dish came with only 3 shrimp. All the food we had was poor and way overpriced; can’t understand all the great reviews for Trax. At $100+ per couple for substandard food and so-so service I’ll never go back there when there are so many really good places to go for a lot less.

AmblerChime, Owner at Trax Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2018

Nothing sub standard at Trax - its always been a great value !

Only 3 shrimp, 3 U10 Shrimp from the Sea of Cortez, you may be shocked at the price if you could find them in a store. You forgot to mention the the shrimp were cooked in Ratatouille, all ingredients coming form the Ambler Farm Market & I've sold a lot of this dish this summer, all to rave reviews.
How can the Brisket be dessert dry if its served in Demi Glace? I remember you walking back to the kitchen with your salad, in 20 years Ive never seen that LOL.
I guess you speak for everyone at your table, although all the plates came back empty.
Overpriced, bad value, fallen off...I guess all the good reviews are wrong and you are right.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

Celebrating a 70th Birthday. Food was very good. Had the rack of lamb and it was excellent. It’s BYOB which is nice and there was no corkage fee. One negative was we brought our own Birthday cake and they charged $4 a person for cutting and serving.

AmblerChime, Manager at Trax Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear everything lived up to your expectations for the 70th birthday party. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

This is our favorite restaurant in the area. The owner/chef has a small menu which he varys seasonally, and we always enjoy his food. I can't say this about any other restaurant: we have never been disappointed. He grows some of his food, and has a green thumb. The entrance is under his grape vines.

This is a small restaurant with plenty of parking. It is an old train station, with ample windows, plenty of elbow room and a view into part of the kitchen. If you prefer to sit outside, it is very quiet until the commuter train goes by, but this barely interrupts a conversation.

The waiters and waitresses have always been very friendly, helpful and alert.

With moderate prices, a BYOB policy and a great chef, this is a wonderful value.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I don't eat here often because I don't often think of it, which is my loss. The food is very good (high end), it is BYOB, the wait staff is friendly, the chef comes out to the table, and the building is cozy and unique. Parking for dinner has never been a problem.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

We have been dining at Trax occasionally for almost 20 years. The food is consistently good and obviously prepared with care.

However, my main complaint is the intolerable noise level when the dining area is full. Last Saturday night I could not hear the person directly across the table from me. I pulled out my phone and turned on the sound level app. The mean noise level was 85 db, with a high of 102 db. That is noisy! This is a strange situation in restaurants - as the noise level increases, people talk louder. The cycle continues until everyone is shouting, and no one is hearing. IF everyone would just shut up for 10 seconds, and then speak in a calm voice, everyone could hear. Everyone's evening would be much more pleasant.

Anyway, I can't solve that problem. I do have recommendations: go to Trax for lunch, when often there are few customers, visit early in week when crowds are small, or in warm weather sit in the outdoor area facing the train tracks.

Been to Trax Cafe? Share your experiences!