“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2017

We stopped here for a bite to eat. Hardly any customers, waited approx 10 min for service then left.

1  Thank hotsync50

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Happy hour on a Tuesday. 3 people in the place. Bartender who had about as much personality as the napkin my cocktail sat on. I think an employee was one of the other two. Lol. Drinks were good. Tv on with volume and music playing from a personal Bluetooth speaker behind the bar.

I'm staying at the hotel next door so it's convenient but I'm surprised they can stay in business.

1  Thank mjenks8
Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

Really was looking forward to having dinner here. We ordered a meat pie (which wasn't a pie ) and a medium rare burger. The meat pie was a wedge or slab of food on a plate with over cooked, cold asparagus. The medium rare burger was raw. The food was also cold. The staff was rude and walked away while my husband was trying to speak to them. The food is also way overpriced for what it is. So so disappointed.

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

I have been going to chess and checkers for many years while traveling on business, they are one of my favorite places in the leiheigh Valley Allentown area.

The bartenders are friendly efficient in a way that could be off putting at first, however they are really nice and will take good care of their guests. I can go months between visits and they remember me each time. Both of the down stairs bartenders have been here for years.

The menu has evolved over the years and is smaller now but they keep having specials. Even with the smaller menu they have something for everyone. From pub fare to almost gourmet meals.

Give it a try and you will not be sorry. It's not perfect but it's perfect enough to be comfortable and a good place to get a good meal. Prices are varied, you can get expensive or inexpensive meals depending on what you choose.

1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Living in the Lehigh Valley all my life I have avoided going to Chess & Checkers due to word of mouth comments. I finally wanted to go to make my own assessment. After dinning there last night my opinion was confirmed, go somewhere else. To begin, my brother and I went there at 7:30 PM on a Saturday night. There were only 9 people in the whole restaurant including us! That was my first assessment of how good the restaurant was. After ordering our drinks we ordered appetizers, ahi tuna and pig skins. The Ahi Tuna came out first and the pig skins nearly 15 minutes later. Not good ! The ahi tuna was good but lacked presentation. The pig skins were your typical looking potato skins. Ordering entree's I wanted the seafood pie. I was told they ran out of it. Funny, there were only 9 people in the restaurant and they ran out? Don't think so. We both then settled on stuffed shrimp, another disappointment, $25 for 5 stuffed shrimp and two sides.The shrimp were small and we couldn't tell what they were supposed to be stuffed with. If it was supposed to be crab then it was a very poor rendition of crab stuffing. I could only imagine what their world famous crab cakes would taste like. That dish also came out lacking any presentation. It's a shame because the restaurant is very nice, the bar downstairs is very nice as is the bar and dinning area upstairs. The food quality is no better than the Bethlehem Diner down the street and at a much higher price which is why I rated it as poor. A comment worth mentioning, as we left Checkers we drove by the Bethlehem Diner, Red Robin and the Copperhead Grill all of their parking lots were filled to capacity which doesn't say much for Checkers. After reading other reviews I sense that Checkers is not consistent on a daily basis. One last thing, how often do you go to a restaurant on a Saturday night and see a waitress go home because of no business? To make matters worse the service was slow. I can only hope that someone can turn the restaurant around, it's a beautiful building and could be a thriving business under proper management. Needless to say we won't be going back.