“Disappointment”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Living in the Lehigh Valley all my life I have avoided going to Chess & Checkers due to word of mouth comments. I finally wanted to go to make my own assessment. After dinning there last night my opinion was confirmed, go somewhere else. To begin, my brother and I went there at 7:30 PM on a Saturday night. There were only 9 people in the whole restaurant including us! That was my first assessment of how good the restaurant was. After ordering our drinks we ordered appetizers, ahi tuna and pig skins. The Ahi Tuna came out first and the pig skins nearly 15 minutes later. Not good ! The ahi tuna was good but lacked presentation. The pig skins were your typical looking potato skins. Ordering entree's I wanted the seafood pie. I was told they ran out of it. Funny, there were only 9 people in the restaurant and they ran out? Don't think so. We both then settled on stuffed shrimp, another disappointment, $25 for 5 stuffed shrimp and two sides.The shrimp were small and we couldn't tell what they were supposed to be stuffed with. If it was supposed to be crab then it was a very poor rendition of crab stuffing. I could only imagine what their world famous crab cakes would taste like. That dish also came out lacking any presentation. It's a shame because the restaurant is very nice, the bar downstairs is very nice as is the bar and dinning area upstairs. The food quality is no better than the Bethlehem Diner down the street and at a much higher price which is why I rated it as poor. A comment worth mentioning, as we left Checkers we drove by the Bethlehem Diner, Red Robin and the Copperhead Grill all of their parking lots were filled to capacity which doesn't say much for Checkers. After reading other reviews I sense that Checkers is not consistent on a daily basis. One last thing, how often do you go to a restaurant on a Saturday night and see a waitress go home because of no business? To make matters worse the service was slow. I can only hope that someone can turn the restaurant around, it's a beautiful building and could be a thriving business under proper management. Needless to say we won't be going back.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Nothing spectacular here. We were there on a Sunday night at 6pm and there was only one other group of 6 in the building. Food was mediocre.

1  Thank Rod M
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

Why we had not tried this before on one of our visits is beyond me. Out of the 8 of us, EVERYONE loved their meals. It was one of the best meals I've had in the ABE area. Considering it is within walking distance of our hotel, we will be going there every time we go back to PA. The waiter was fun, and made our visit even better. I'm not sure why this place is not busier; the menu is great, the prices are reasonable, you get a lot of food (i.e. plenty for another meal or two at home), the location is great. If you have not been there, try it!

2  Thank tangokilo12
Reviewed 17 January 2017

My husband thoroughly enjoyed the crab cake, which was almost completely crab and had only enough filling to hold it together. I had a delicious filet mignon. Both were cooked to perfection. We also enjoyed the hand cut French fries. The server was pleasant and observant. He was very helpful as we were navigating my husband's wheelchair. The ambiance was charming. The only problem is that I initially ordered ribs and was told they were out of them (even though it was before noon and there was only one other table of guests.) This was our first visit and we plan to return.

1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 10 January 2017

I went in for dinner and ordered a filet mignon cooked medium. What I received was a flat piece of meat, about 3/8" thick, that was tougher than a NY strip. Why call yourself a steakhouse if you don't know how to cook a steak? It was a shame because the decor was really nice and there was a fireplace keeping everyone warm.