“Great ambiance, mediocre food.”

Chess N Checkers Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #157 of 516 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2017

I went in for dinner and ordered a filet mignon cooked medium. What I received was a flat piece of meat, about 3/8" thick, that was tougher than a NY strip. Why call yourself a steakhouse if you don't know how to cook a steak? It was a shame because the decor was really nice and there was a fireplace keeping everyone warm.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

I was not impressed with this place. I saw the sign that said Best Crab cakes, so a colleague and I went in on a weeknight to have a beer and eat some quality crab. We sat at the bar and we ended up being one of only 3 patrons in the bar that night. The guy next to us was eating Ribs and said they were really good. They have a pretty large menu, but I was looking for crab. When inquiring about what's good, the bartender said, you're kidding right, I don't eat here. So i proceeded to order the lobster pizza and the crab balls. The lobster pizza was very rich and creamy, not something you could sit and eat the whole thing but great to share. I was disappointed in the crab balls, very little flavor. A crab cake by itself was $20.

Reviewed 31 October 2016

We had "time to kill" before our flight back to Florida and wanted something besides fast food so thought we'd try Chess and Checkers. It was about 12:30 and the place was deserted. Might be because the location is not the easiest to get to.

Waiter was very pleasant . We decided to order the crab cake lunch- mine on sour dough and without the bread for my friend. It was very tasty. Meal came with hand cut French fries. I ordered raspberry iced tea since they only carry Pepsi while he had a glass of wine. When the drinks came his wine was $ 8:50. Not reasonable at all especially for lunch. Decor was typical for a restaurant.

1  Thank Judy G
Reviewed 24 October 2016

I stopped in for dinner and loved it, I tried the jumbo crab cake and coconut shrimp, very good choices. Order them you will love them.

1  Thank Coolhandluke87
Reviewed 20 October 2016

Very personable staff, fresh grilled chicken salad, best I think I have ever had.....poppyseed dressing. The chicken was plentiful ..took a to go box home.
Key lime pie I could not resist. Great place.

1  Thank dee b