“Not a chain hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Not a chain hotel!”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Palm is unique, affordable, clea, comfortable, and is definitely our favorite place to stay in Ashland. The location is good too,across the street from SOU, within walking distance of one of the best breakfast spots in Ashland, grocery stores, and good coffee, and as nice, brisk walk or short drive from Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Festival. The pool and grounds can't be beat in the summer. In the winter, the "off season, the price can't be beat, so year round it is where we try to stay whenever there is a room open.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chico, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We've stayed at the Palm twice now, and had a great experience in both the queen room, and queen deluxe. We arrived late, and when our room key was unavailable, help showed up promptly to let us in. What could have been a very unfortunate experience was handled quite nicely, and a bucket of goodies was given to us for our trouble.
We love the funky nature vibe on the outside and the clean, warm and chic vibe on the inside. Although this isnt a classy 5 star hotel, for the price it deserves 5 stars for sure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Sunrise Suite at The Palm and couldn't say enough good things about it. I wanted to go with a local hotel while vactioning but I'll admit I was worried about the outcome. The Palm totally made me feel like I picked the right hotel. Clean, modern, affordable and very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this motel to anyone staying in the Ashland area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tara B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed at the Palm in January and were very, very disappointed. While reviewers found their room charming and cozy, we found it small, cramped, without a closet or place to set aything down, poorly lit, poorly heated with uncomfortable pillows. Of course, you could get a more comfortable pillow for $2.00 extra per night.(!) The front office doesn't open until 8:30. Since there are no coffee makers in the room, that means no coffee before 8:30. And, no decaf coffee available at all. Then, if you cancel the rest of your stay because of the unsatisfactory conditions, they charge you a $15.00 cancellation fee. I simply don't understand the rave reviews. Maybe in the summer the gardens are beautiful, but certainly in the winter without them it's difficult to understand the attraction.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank SonomaSweetie
Montague, California
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I spent a very relaxing anniversary in the Sunset Suite earlier this month.
I chose this place because I had stayed here 25+ years ago when it was a dive charging $23 per night. I had noticed this place more recently while driving through Ashland to eat at the Thai Pepper or Kat Wok because it was obvious that upgrades were being done. The garden landscaping and twinkling lights in the courtyard piqued my curiosity. I went to the website and was impressed by what I saw, though I thought I would reserve judgment until we saw it in person.
I chose the Sunset Suite because it touted 2 televisions and 2 separate rooms... my idea of the perfect anniversary... his in one room and hers in the other ;). An unanticipated bonus with this choice was that it is apart from and adjacent to the original motor lodge area, in a small home that has been converted into three units. It has a dedicated shared parking area (suitable for 2 compacts) and on-street parking for larger vehicles. There is a small tree-shaded deck with a cozy sitting area that would be very nice in the spring, summer, or fall. The rooms are tastefully painted in grey with white trim, with a dark wood floor. The photo of this room on the website is the most accurate room depiction I've seen.
The front door opens into a small living/sitting room. The couch is comfortable, with an ottoman/table. There is a wet bar with water glasses, wine glasses, ceramic cups, and 2 coffeemakers. The coffee provided is obviously freshly ground and very tasty.
The bedroom is adequately sized and very nice, the bed was incredibly comfortable, though the bedside clock required a degree in engineering to set the alarm. They have every amenity in the bathroom, a very nice selection of soaps, and fluffy white bathrobes to use during your stay. The large tub is gorgeous and deep. The shower pressure is adequate.
Morning Glory Cafe is only a block away. This was another reason we chose The Palm. Morning Glory opens at 8 AM on the weekends, so we were able to get there just before the rush, have a leisurely and scrumptious breakfast, and then go back to the room to take a little nap before check-out time (11 AM).
The management and staff is quite friendly and accommodating. Read the cancellation policy before you make a reservation on-line. If you have a problem with the policy, I recommend calling The Palm directly and talking to the manager to see about other reservation arrangements.
I will definitely stay here again. I plan on running away from home some evening and renting one of the small rooms in the courtyard area... but that's our little secret... and I'll tell you all about that room afterward.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple