“It was okay.”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 7 April 2018

The food was okay. It took a long time to get the order up. Spent some time in the bar with friends, started a tab. They said we could transfer it in to the restaurant. When it came over, they had overcharged us for the bar tab. Discovered in the restaurant that the gratuity was incorporated into the pricing. I don't agree with that. This policy removes the incentive to earn a good TIP by providing good service. I believe TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service. I am a pretty good tipper when the service is good, so I don't agree with the "everyone gets a trophy" theory.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Service and staff were excellent. Food is wonderful even if they don't get my wacky order correct every single time. It's still wonderful and local foods! My kids hang out and get to order from the affordable kids menu too!

Reviewed 11 March 2018

What a great find! The choices are unique and the food is served hot and tasty! I had a great special Burrito with root vegetables and beef. The chips and salsa were ok, but not my favorite. We were there just before 5 so we couldn't order off the dinner menu (starts at 5), but we were ok with the choices we had! The no tipping policy is interesting. We like the fresh local food that is used.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Casa Nuevo is a great little spot in Athens, Ohio to grab a bite to eat whether for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They offer some great gluten-free options. We enjoyed a fabulous Mexican feast for dinner. Stacked enchiladas were great with beans and rice. Guacamole and their specialty salsas were a superb appetizer. Always a treat when we visit our son at Ohio University and eat at Casa’s!

grace c, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Nueva, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thank you for the great review, Lisa! We're glad you enjoy your visits!

Reviewed 16 January 2018

My wife and daughter stopped into Casa Nueva this past Sunday as we dropped my daughter off for school at OU. We started off with their 6 layer dip appetizer. You have your choice of having it with pita chips or tortilla chips. We chose the tortilla chips. These are not your traditional tortilla chips. They are called Shagbark chips and are a much thicker and harder chip than traditional chips. Not very flavorful and not a chip that I like. I have had these chips before at a restaurant called Katalinas in Columbus. While I applaud Casa Nueva for sourcing Ohio companies and using better ingredients I would not reorder this or any chips at their restaurant if that is what I will receive.

My daughter is a vegetarian and she ordered the quesadilla. She really liked it. My wife ordered the two layer stacked enchilada, She had asked for no onion, but received it with onion which makes it inedible for her. She refused to send it back and did not tell the server that she didn't receive it the way she ordered it. We aren't sure if it was a simple oversight by the server or if it was not possible to not have the onions (like it was already added in the fillings she requested). I ordered the create your own burrito with ground beef, black beans, tomatoes and their House medium salsa, The burrito shell was somewhat crispy and to me it was a very good burrito.

I ordered their house margarita and it was very good. It seemed pretty potent as well. There draft list is full of Ohio beers and I also had 1 draft that I had not had before and enjoyed it.

Our bill was presented and I had noticed that they listed on their menu that they are a no tipping restaurant. If you choose to add a tip they will donate the money to a local area charity. I assume this means they pay their employees the regular minimum or higher wage instead of the tipped wage like most restaurants do. I have only experienced this out west in Washington and Oregon and it was a surprise here in Ohio. Would like to see more restaurants go in this direction.

All in all the food was good, service was ok, drinks were good and the bill wasn't bad for 3 people including 3 drinks and an appetizer. Around $50.00

grace c, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Nueva, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review of your visit! We're glad you enjoyed your experience here! Sorry that your wife requested no onions and then her stacked enchilada contained onions! If we had known, we would've been happy to remake it for her! We look forward to your next visit!

Been to Casa Nueva? Share your experiences!