“Best fresh, best in NC”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Pennsylvania
“Best fresh, best in NC”
Reviewed 4 November 2008

This is slow cooked over an open pit of hickory coals, giving it a special lightly smoked flavor. Two things that set this barbecue apart are the cracklings (skin) chopped into the meat and the fact that it is served almost plain, with very little sauce. You can add your own vinegar sauce to the meat or have it "as is." But eat it there, for the treat is the crisp bits of fried skin mixed throughout. These tidbits absorb moisture from the meat and become soft and less appetizing with time. The menu is limited to what they do best, barbecue! Small, medium, or large tray or a sandwich. I've eaten barbecue from Texas, Alabama, Tennesee, South Carolina, Western North Carolina, and Virginia, but none better than the Skylight Inn, truly the barbecue capitol of the world. If you want, these people will fix you meat without skin, but then it is just a very good pork barbecue. Slaw is great, cornbread is mediocre. Corn sticks at Parkers in Greenville, NC are better.

Ohio
“Finally made it to Skylight”
Reviewed 9 October 2008

After wanting to eat at Skylight for years, we finally made the trip and were not disappointed. This is not a place for you if you are not an eastern North Carolina barbecue fan, because that's all they serve: a sandwich or tray, small, medium and large. I did not have the issue other reviewers mention with gristle -- there wasn't any in my medium tray. The slaw was sweeter than I prefer, but still OK. The unleavened "cornbread" put me in mind of a chunk of fried polenta, but there were no crumbs left on my waxed paper when I finished. All in all, barbecue fans should go, and others probably would be happier elsewhere.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great Q, just be careful...”
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Great Q, just be careful if you don't like Grissle. Menu is VERY straight forward...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Richmond
“Awesome BBQ”
Reviewed 27 October 2007

After seeing the other reviews I decided to write mine. I was so bored one Saturday that I decided to drive from my home in Richmond, VA to the Skylight Inn in Ayden for the famous BBQ. I'd seen it many times on various TV shows , food, travel etc. so three hours later I finally got to have this BBQ and it was awesome. The place does it whole hog and the skin is included which adds greatly to the taste, slaw was the best I ever had and cornbread was OK at best. Thats the thing about taste different folks have different tastes but the many folks that have given this place it's high reputation are the ones I'm on board with. The BBQ was the best I've ever had and have thought a number of times about making the trip again just for fun and BBQ. I didn't know one could order extra skin if I had I'd done so.

1 Thank RofVA
Greenville, NC
“Disappointed in the BBQ”
Reviewed 12 October 2007

I too was so disappointed that I was mad! I was traveling from that direction and decided to take a side tour so I could have the famous BBQ. Like others I had always heard such great things about the Skylight BBQ. I could not wait to sink my teeth in my sandwich. Oh my - there was too much skin and gristle for me. I had to disect the entire thing. I pulled out at least 1/4 cup of skin and gristle that I was not interested in trying to swallow. I would never ever go back there nor would I suggest it to others.

3 Thank MarshGreenville