“Awesome pizza”

Pescara Wood Oven Kitchen
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Description: Pescara is a Coastal Italian restaurant located on the Atlantic Beach Circle. We feature traditional Italian ingredients and preparations-including a wood-fired oven-as well as produce and seafood sourced from local farmers and fishermen. Our menu is more in keeping with what you may find at a seaside café in Italy than what you would see at an American chain Italian restaurant (not that there's anything wrong with chain Italian restaurants, we're just a bit different-our lasagna has crab in it). Our menu can be approached many different ways. If you want to have a traditional multi-course Italian meal with antipasti, pasta and a main course, bring an appetite and we'll serve it up. But, if you and a large group of friends and family would rather share several small plates and a carafe of house wine, we'd love to have you. Similarly, if you just want a wood-fired pizza and a cold beer at the end of a day on the beach, we've got a bar stool with your name on it. Most of the wines on our list are Italian and show the wide range of styles produced in Italy, including some great values from less-familiar wine regions. We also carry some great selections from California and other popular regions. We have a full bar and a cocktail list containing a few classic cocktails as well as some re-imagined classics with a slight Italian twist. Our restaurant is located in the second oldest cottage in Atlantic Beach with both indoor, outdoor and bar seating.
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

I was drawn to the place because of the pictures of pizza I saw on TripAdvisor. Also I'm partial to wood fired pizza crust that is thin and the reviews confirmed this would be the place. Pizza was wonderful as expected, and Tiramisu was tasty as well. Cozy nice place. Staff very friendly. We'll be back next vacation. Note they are closed Monday and Tuesday off season.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I had someone recommend Pescara's so we tried it for our anniversary beach trip. Showed up with no reservation but was seated outside instantly. Perfect evening for outside so we were pleased. Special was local Black Drum over risotto with lobster/ saffron sauce.
It was best meal I had in long time. Service was excellent from all.
Was pricey, but I expected that.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We have stopped in at Pescara a couple of times and have found the food to be on point and service excellent. Recently we had the calamari app which was perfectly cooked and seasoned served over a lite marinara sauce. We also had one of their wood oven pizzas (Biabola) perfect crispy crust and fresh ingredients.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

So third time is a charm, sort of. The pizza was once again really good (maybe the second visit was a fluke) and the waiter could not have been nicer. However, the hostess - OMG. We arrived about 12 minutes late for our reservation. Keep in mind this was a weekday evening, they were not full and it was about 45 minutes till closing.

I walked up to this woman and said nicely with a smile we have a reservation for 8pm and she said scoldingly with a frown, 'I was just about to call you'. Not hi welcome, or that's okay we're happy to have you, just this odd reaction like we were late to her personal dinner party. WTF? I tried again nicely to say well I underestimated traffic...nothing. Just this vibe like how dare I show up late.

She then proceeds to show me to an inside table, never asking whether we want in or outside (I had specified outside on the phone). I said we want to sit outside. Again with the attitude, she says "well you're going to have to give me a few minutes we don't have anything outside right now. "

This took me aback because there were 3 empty tables outside just on the front of the deck alone, I didn't even see the side of the deck where there are even more tables. So when I got outside and my dining companion asked what was wrong I said, I have no idea given that I see 3 empty tables, one with 3 seats and two 2-tops. A waitress heard me say this and apparently went in and said something to the hostess with the least-ess, because just as I was getting ready to sit in one of the deck chairs to wait, she comes out and looks at me coldly like what are you doing. I said 'well you said a few minutes'. She says 'well I heard you had a problem with what I said so I decided to go ahead and seat you all even though you're a few minutes late'. Jeez! What is this woman's deal? The only 'problem' I had was wanting an explanation. If you're going to tell customers that no tables are available when 3 empty ones are clearly visible and there isn't a group standing around waiting to be seated, you might want to explain yourself to avoid the customer wondering what is wrong with you. The way it came across was she simply wanted to 'punish' us for being late.

After we were seated, the other 2 empty tables were filled, but no one else came after that so it's not like she needed our table. Then I noticed her husband was sitting alone at a 2-top, chatting with a couple who were clearly friends of theirs. Both he and the couple were lingering long after finishing their food and drinks. Then the couple beside us gets up and chats with the hostess' husband in between courses. I felt like I was at a wedding.

So it dawned on me, perhaps this hostess is confused and thinks that this is her personal home? Her relatives and friends get to linger at tables while customers like us are told nothing is available. And the place is located in a former house, and is shaped like a house, so I can see why she might be under that impression. That would also explain why she reacted to my measly 12 minute lateness like I had personally offended her or come late to an event at her home.

Sadly my hypothesis that women in service jobs in Eastern NC are far ruder than those in NYC continues to be proven correct. Unfortunately the manager was not in so we could not voice our issue to anyone but the waiter, who tried unsuccessfully to get our dessert comped. (Just an aside, the desserts here have NYC prices - yikes).

He was fantastic as all our servers here have been, but that hostess needs a personality revamp. In normal establishments, when you're late for your reservation, if it's 15 mins or more late you could lose the table if they're busy, but even then you are not chastised for your lateness like you're a 5th grader late to class. This hostess needs to spend less time entertaining her family and friends at work and more time learning common manners and pleasantness.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We have been here to eat 3 times now. It seems they have had different chefs in the years they have been there. The first one made a great cioppino and now it is bland and not as tasty. Their linquini and clams is yummy and their pizzas are decent. They have a great house red wine.