Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$234
US$205
Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur(Kuala Lumpur)
US$146
US$138
Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur(Kuala Lumpur)
US$95
US$75
  • Breakfast included
US$90
US$83
Agoda.com
Impiana KLCC Hotel(Kuala Lumpur)
US$100
  • Pool
US$77
US$64
Concorde Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay here, mainly beause of the nice Chinese people running the place, the clean shared showers with hot water and the proximity to the LRT and Myanmar visa agency (which was the reason for spending 2 nights in KL). Also the price was good.

A few things to be aware of: If you want a towel, you pay a few Ringit, wifi is mainly accessible at reception and breakfast is what you get in most places in Malaysia (eggs, toast, jam, butter), with some fruit this time. The thin walls can make it noisy if you have neighbours

Room Tip: Rooms are basically 2 rows of parallel thin walls in a big space, so lots of them will have no window. Ask for a twin room (instead of a double), I believe all these have windows
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkManama
Reviewed 4 January 2014

L&G,

I am really disappointed reading about some people claming that Serrai Inn is not a good hotel. I am a respectable Algerian citizen who spent more than 31 days in this hotel, where I found it very good, helpful personnel and very kind manager Mr. Koe Kok Hau, a very intelectual chinese man. I spoke with Koe about the incident of the below claim, and I understood that it was the misunderstanding about rooms price. Any one in the world tell the below claimer about hotel's prices in KL, i think as a an experienced triper that it is a best price for a room with an AC and a shower.

Dear Mr Australian, this time you made a big mistake when charging people that they re not helpful! I found it so in my first days, but after, I am convinced that they re a poor hard working people whom hae just help to provide!

So, it is a trade mark, and it is the business of others, becareful of being charged of a defamation crime, that may touch the hotel

I am sure that you made this judgement under some misunderstanding circumstances, so please if you re a gentleman, come back to your previous judgment; and be friend with Koe, as he is a good person.

Good luck to you, and welcome to Algeria, I will brought you to my house, for free no many to take from you.

Mr. Wail Lamouri.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed here after a mix up with our booking through booking.com and so we didn't lose any money decided to stay a couple of days.

The rooms were very small and dirty, the free wifi only worked on one floor and the management were less than helpful.

It was very expensive for what it was, there are far better hostels in better locations for a third of the price.

Don't bother with this place. The 'free' breakfast was also very poor and the showers laughable!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lemongrass168, Owner at Serai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Mike made a mistake thinking that the rental for an A/C double room was RM76 for three nights (ie. RM25.30 per night) when he made a booking via a well established booking website. Actually, the rental was RM76 per night. We explained to him there was no way to rent an A/C double room in downtown Kuala Lumpur for RM25.30 per night. However, he was still upset throughout his stay in Serai Inn. We even recommended him a guest house that offers very basic dorm for as low as RM12 per person per night.

As mentioned in my response to an earlier review, our free breakfast consists of scrambled egg, toast, fruit, baked beans, coffee or tea and our cook prepares it on the spot (except for Saturday when our cook is off). So, We leave it to the readers to judge whether such breakfast is laughable for the price he has paid. With regards to his comment on the cleanliness, we would like to clarify that we are always considered a clean guest house. Please refer to the comment of the other customers in the well established booking websites to get a fair picture.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Dreadful money grabbing and unpleasant owner. Rooms are minute shoe boxes without windows and everything costs extra from towels to breakfast. Yes, they 'say' breakfast is included but this is a lie. You have to pay for everything apart from a slice of bread. This typifies the whole place. When I wanted to change my booking from 2 nights to 1 as I needed to see a friend in Malaysia the owner refused a refund on the second night, despite more than 24 hours notice. He then tried to retain my key deposit.
Also, watch him: he tries to force you to check out early by all sorts of nasty tactics e.g. he will ask when you are leaving and then he only operates reception until 10.30: therefore forcing you out unless you are prepared to lose your 20RM deposit.
Finally if there was a fire god only knows how everyone would get out the building: I suspect they simply wouldn't.

Money grabbing and nasty: avoid.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Lemongrass168, Owner at Serai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Richard Hoskins booked for two nights and made the full payment upon arrival. Then, he changed his mind at 8pm to cancel his stay for the second night. He has obviously given us less than 24 hours' notice. We even offered him to change his date of stay to anywhere before 31 Dec 2013 but he refused to take up our offer.

Our breakfast comprise of egg, toast, fruit, coffee and tea and it is absolutely free. Towel can be rented for a nominal amount of RM2.00 per towel. Since our counter is close from 10.30pm to 7.30am, we always remind our customers to get back their deposit of RM20 before 10.30pm. We never force any guest to check out earlier. In fact, we always refund them if they want to check out before 7.30am and we always trust that they would not take away the access cards.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I had a very positive experience staying in this guest house over a three month period while conducting research in KL this spring (Jan - Apr 2013). Koh, Lim, Teddy and Wati all made me feel incredibly welcome and created a home away from home. Koh, the owner of the inn, provided me invaluable advice (he is a registered tour guide) on the main cultural attractions in KL, Malacca, Penang and Singapore.

The rooms are fairly compact, equipped with reliable aircon and are kept immaculately clean by the very professional housekeeping staff. The Malay breakfast included in the price hits the spot nicely and is provided in a very pleasant, spacious common room. The bathroom facilities are basic but well-maintained and hygienic.

I cannot imagine a more central location in KL - Merdeka Square is a 6 or 7 minute walk and the Masjid Jamek LRT station is a mere 2 minutes away. KLCC (the Westernised/Petronas Towers section of the city) is about 20 minutes' walk and the attractions of Lake Gardens (KL's Hyde Park - much more elegant and understand than its London counterpart) and the National Mosque are around 15 minutes by foot. Little India and Chinatown are all reachable within 10 minutes.

At 50 RM (+/-) per night for a single room including breakfast (and on-tap tourist tips if Koh is about), the Serai Inn is a hidden gem for the traveller seeking moderately priced accommodation in central KL. I cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful guest house and its friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business