See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 January 2013

A basic small clean aircond single room just for RM49 per night which good for budget traveller. The location is excellent close to LRT station & Puduraya Bus station. Easy to explore Merdeka Square & China Town/Petaling Street which with walking distance. If u want to visit Bintang Walk/KLCC/KL Tower do refer to the helpful reception for free Hopon/Hopoff purple line/green line free bus. The bus stand just few hundred meters from this hotel.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

The room is clean and the location is excellent. But the most amazing thing of this hostel is its people. Firendly, helpful and passionate about their jobs. Even the cook prepare the breakfast with her heart. The owner, Cole is the gem of the hostel. Talk to him if you want to understand more about Malaysia - be it culture, history or even politics.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed at Serai for 3 days in early January, its very clean, the beds are very comfortable and yes the rooms are extremely small, overall its a good option and the owner is very helpful with directions and things to do in KL. The things that prevent me from rating it higher are, I found it lacking in atmosphere and the wifi is only available in the foyer/office area which is not conducive to spending any length of time beyond 5mins on the net. The common area on the top floor is very pleasant with a nice little area to sit out sit outside, but there is no wifi up there so no one sits here. If they had wifi in this area, the guests would sit here more and lend a to a nice communal area to meet other guests. As it is, if you are here solo, don't expect to meet anyone. Its close to the metro and buses but I found the area at night a little creepy to walk to alone. I subsequently moved to a place in china town which i really enjoyed the more vibrant populated atmosphere. Good clean option for limited stays.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

The room is clean enough and worth for money but a bit noisy from the next door (turned the music on) and the noisy from people walk past the room.
The owner is very friendly and there is the community / dining area on the top floor and also can see KL tower from this area too.
The location of the hotel is very good, just 5 mins walk to the old musjid and 5 mins walk to MRT station.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I must admit I was slightly desappointed when I saw the bedroom at first, it is the smallest ever. you've got a simple bed, an air conditionning and that is it . once I put my suitecase on the floor, I could not even stand in the room anymore. It is litterally just too sleep. The walls are also very thin, you can here people's conversation. The windows are simple glass and I found the traffic noise very loud.
But I always Sleep with ear plugs when away from home, and I would recommend you to bring some if you stay there.

BUT :
the staff is very friendly and helpful. When booking, I received a confiramtion e-mail with direction, a map and how to get there from the airport. I checked in at 1am, but he still went through the map of the city with me . they all answered to my questions (From the attractions to the kings and politics of the country).
There is an included breakfast, which is just toasts with tea or coffee, but it does the job and save you from looking for breakfast in the morning.
the communal room is massive, they have a kitchen with microwave and fridge. a TV and a few seats , perfect to socialise. I was travelling on my own and I met some nice people in the hotel to go sightseeeing and go out drinking with.
The whole place is very clean, they ask everyone to leave their shoes outside, and I saw them cleaning around a couple of times a day.
As I was mentioning eralier, it is very close from the coach station (2 min walk) and from a monorail stop.
I walked to the KL tower, the Petronas tower, China Town and lots of attraction without any problem .The location is the best thing about this hotel .

They provide free wifi. But If you are expecting to use your laptop, I would adivice to ask for a room on the 1st or 2nd floor , as I becomes week on the 3rd floor (doesn't work on the kitchen) .

to sum up : great staff, very helpfull ! the location is very good but don't expect much comfort. but it is so cheap that you can't complain, I still think it's good for the price . I would stay there again if I was back in KL at some point.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo