See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The hostel was close to the train station and the touristy areas such as Chinatown, Little India and Merdeka Square.

The staff gave me a lot of information but I found quite some was incorrect. They told me some places in my guidebook didn’t exist and recommended me somewhere else. In the end I found the place that I was looking for and the places they recommended were not so bad. I can’t say anything bad about it. Maybe we had difference preferences. But that really disappointed me.

However, they did recommend a nice bar to see the Petronas Towers. It was really good. They also had discounted price for KL towers, but I didn’t go.

The room was simple but very clean. However the water pressure in the shower was very low. It was difficult to shower.

I didn’t try their breakfast.

Overall it was a pleasant place to stay. Definitely worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank freddyfu
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We had a hard time finding a decent place to stay in KL, and then we came across Serai Inn on the agoda website. What a great budget hotel! We stayed here twice. The first room we had on the main floor was great. The bed was super comfortable, it was quiet and dark and night time. The 2nd room we had on the 4th floor was not so comfortable. We could feel the springs through the mattress, and the hall light shone right through our window. The shared bathrooms were always very clean and the showers worked well (good pressure). The staff members are all really friendly, and very informative of the things to see and do. We really enjoyed the butterfly and bird parks as well as the tower. Be sure to go to the twin tours at night for fabulous photo opportunities. If you like Indian food -eat at Woodlands, if you ask the guys about it at the hotel they will give you directions. We ate there a couple times. Serai Inn is in a great location – close to the bus station, and close walk to the LRT. Its within walking distance to Petaling street (walking street) where the night market is. Wifi worked in the rooms, and breakfast upstairs was simple but nice if you are on a budget!

Room Tip: Feel the beds before deciding on a room. Some beds are better than others. We felt springs one night
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We arrived late afternoon and were leaving early the next morning. It was ideal for the cheap bus from the LCCT, and perfect for the bus station and lots of veggie restaurants nearby which was all we were looking for.

On arrival they were really helpful about telling us where to go and how to get there. Although, they did try to push their own transfer to the Cameron Highlands and we booked the public bus at the bus station a few minutes walk away and it was far better than a minivan would have been.

The shared bathrooms were clean and the dorms were fairly big. I did not like the way that the rooms were not lockable and so anyone who got into the hostel could get into the dorms on any floor, with only a small locker for valuables. But it was nice having the common room upstairs to go to and the breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I enjoyed my stay at serai inn, the man who I spoke to when I arrived was very helpful, he even took the time to go through a map of KL with me and recommend places to go and how to get there....The rooms were clean, bathrooms were as clean as I have seen in Malaysia and was a very quiet place at night. Of course the area in which the inn is situated is probably not the best but if you're wanting a real feel of Malaysia this is the place to stay (none of that hilton malarchy where everything seems a bed of roses) I am a 21 year old single female and I thought it wasn't too unsafe to walk to at night........emphasis on too! The breakfast is very simple so please dont expect much in that department. but hey for the price you pay what can you expect?? From the outside the place doesnt look much and it's kind of situated quite strangely (down a back alley and then up the stairs). The place is key carded after a certain amount so you feel relatively safe when you're in there.
When I got to the KL Sentral Station,I asked for a taxi, first quote I got was 40myr, i declined that one, then the next guy told me 20myr which i thought was a good deal but my friend who lives there later told me that they usually charge the locals 5myr for the same trip but you cant expect the same as the locals...prices will always be more for tourists! However, I later found out that if you get a train to Pasar Seni from Sentral approx 2myr which is only a couple of stops and then it's walking distance from there! And you can stop and have a look at china town on the way!
The rooms are plain, simple with a bed and a bed side cabinet and more importantly...air conditioning!! Really what else can a backpacker ask for in accommodation......no bed bugs in my bed either!!
All in all for the price you pay this is exactly what you should expect and is not a bad place at all!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank restlessbrit
Reviewed 9 December 2010

at all hours of the night, then this is the place for you. Walls the thickness of cardboard and inconsiderate inmates... oops, I mean guests, make for no sleep. Plus the little tiny ants that live in the closet sized rooms will cause itching all night while youre laying awake listening to all the inconsiderate jerks conversing.

Luckily, the bathrooms have the same thin walls, so you don't need to just hear talking.... you can also listen to people hawking up spit all night, flushing, showering, and all other functions.

One of the most miserable places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo