See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We arrived late afternoon and were leaving early the next morning. It was ideal for the cheap bus from the LCCT, and perfect for the bus station and lots of veggie restaurants nearby which was all we were looking for.

On arrival they were really helpful about telling us where to go and how to get there. Although, they did try to push their own transfer to the Cameron Highlands and we booked the public bus at the bus station a few minutes walk away and it was far better than a minivan would have been.

The shared bathrooms were clean and the dorms were fairly big. I did not like the way that the rooms were not lockable and so anyone who got into the hostel could get into the dorms on any floor, with only a small locker for valuables. But it was nice having the common room upstairs to go to and the breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I enjoyed my stay at serai inn, the man who I spoke to when I arrived was very helpful, he even took the time to go through a map of KL with me and recommend places to go and how to get there....The rooms were clean, bathrooms were as clean as I have seen in Malaysia and was a very quiet place at night. Of course the area in which the inn is situated is probably not the best but if you're wanting a real feel of Malaysia this is the place to stay (none of that hilton malarchy where everything seems a bed of roses) I am a 21 year old single female and I thought it wasn't too unsafe to walk to at night........emphasis on too! The breakfast is very simple so please dont expect much in that department. but hey for the price you pay what can you expect?? From the outside the place doesnt look much and it's kind of situated quite strangely (down a back alley and then up the stairs). The place is key carded after a certain amount so you feel relatively safe when you're in there.
When I got to the KL Sentral Station,I asked for a taxi, first quote I got was 40myr, i declined that one, then the next guy told me 20myr which i thought was a good deal but my friend who lives there later told me that they usually charge the locals 5myr for the same trip but you cant expect the same as the locals...prices will always be more for tourists! However, I later found out that if you get a train to Pasar Seni from Sentral approx 2myr which is only a couple of stops and then it's walking distance from there! And you can stop and have a look at china town on the way!
The rooms are plain, simple with a bed and a bed side cabinet and more importantly...air conditioning!! Really what else can a backpacker ask for in accommodation......no bed bugs in my bed either!!
All in all for the price you pay this is exactly what you should expect and is not a bad place at all!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank restlessbrit
Reviewed 9 December 2010

at all hours of the night, then this is the place for you. Walls the thickness of cardboard and inconsiderate inmates... oops, I mean guests, make for no sleep. Plus the little tiny ants that live in the closet sized rooms will cause itching all night while youre laying awake listening to all the inconsiderate jerks conversing.

Luckily, the bathrooms have the same thin walls, so you don't need to just hear talking.... you can also listen to people hawking up spit all night, flushing, showering, and all other functions.

One of the most miserable places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I really liked this place. The staff were more helpfull than you can imagine, helping us book a taxi to the airport for a good price. They were always helpfull to point us in the right direction and supplied us with maps. The rooms are small, but you're in KL and the place is so cheap! Only a 5 minute walk to China town and 2 minute walk from the metro station. Breakfast is also include, it may only be toast, tea and coffee, but theres no limit on home many slices you manage! I would definately stop here again

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nathop
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I arrived late at night, but the instructions they'd emailed to me enabled me to find the place without too much trouble. I panicked when I saw the door was locked, but then it occurred to me to sound the buzzer, and the night staff opened the door for me.

My single room was small, bed and air-con only, but I was more than comfortable. I got through to the wi-fi without any trouble at all both in the common area and in my room - bring your own laptop for this as they don't have computer facilities.

I was worried about catching a taxi for a very early flight out of Malaysia, but managed to arrange this at late notice with Mr Li, who called a Mr Zhou to pick me up on time, taking me to the airport for only 85 RM - the hotels routinely charge $50USD for this service. If I'd been braver I could have taken a taxi from nearby the hotel to KL Sentral and gotten the early morning skybus.

ALl in all a very positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo